Mamie Smith On Okeh label

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Mamie Smith On Okeh label

Post by OrthoSean »

My comment is based on 40 years of dealing with records other "collectors" have treated for my use in CD reissues. Do what you want with your records, but my experience tells me otherwise. I'm not going to argue with you. Why not ask any audio archive what they use to clean their 78s? I use what they use and it ain't WD40. :roll:

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The "Jazz Hounds" was an arranged group put to service for this session. Ms. Smith didn't have a group of her own, at least at that time

I have this record, yes Crazy Blues is the one that kicked the doors open for female blues singers on record, but I actually like the flip side better.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

OrthoSean wrote:My comment is based on 40 years of dealing with records other "collectors" have treated for my use in CD reissues. Do what you want with your records, but my experience tells me otherwise. I'm not going to argue with you. Why not ask any audio archive what they use to clean their 78s? I use what they use and it ain't WD40. :roll:

Sean
Sean, no disrespect and I don't want to argue with you, either... :roll:

Just to be clear, if I had a NOS record or one that was in excellent original condition, there would be no reason to use my method. I'm talking about records that have been over played and generally abused that are not candidates for CD reissues or audio archives, like the vast majority of records that are not in serious collectors hands. These are the ones that will be played regularly on period acoustic machines, not high end turntables. If I'm going to invest serious money into "collector" quality records, of course I'm not going to use WD-40 on them. I think we are talking apples and oranges... :?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Curt A wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:My comment is based on 40 years of dealing with records other "collectors" have treated for my use in CD reissues. Do what you want with your records, but my experience tells me otherwise. I'm not going to argue with you. Why not ask any audio archive what they use to clean their 78s? I use what they use and it ain't WD40. :roll:

Sean
Sean, no disrespect and I don't want to argue with you, either... :roll:

Just to be clear, if I had a NOS record or one that was in excellent original condition, there would be no reason to use my method. I'm talking about records that have been over played and generally abused that are not candidates for CD reissues or audio archives, like the vast majority of records that are not in serious collectors hands. These are the ones that will be played regularly on period acoustic machines, not high end turntables. If I'm going to invest serious money into "collector" quality records, of course I'm not going to use WD-40 on them. I think we are talking apples and oranges... :?
Curt,

I'm glad you clarified that, because that's not how it came across to me. I have great fears that someone will come across a thread like this and think they should be cleaning or rejuvenating every record they have with whatever is suggested. I've seen such records and had to work with and try to remove some of this stuff in the past and most times, there has been damage done that can't really be reversed such as smearing wax all over them, furniture polish of varying kinds and other "treatments" that were offered even back in the 20s. The preservationist in me can't help but react.

Anyone remember a cylinder dealer back in the 80s that used to spray all the cylinders he sold with Lemon Pledge to make them shiny again (and as a result conveniently hid any visible mildew)? I may still have a few of those around in one of my cabinets.

Again, thanks for clarifying.

Sean

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I ended up just cleaning it with soap and water. The record shined up nicely, but as Curt mentioned.... it was played too many times with a steel needle. But it did end up sound somewhat better

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Still, it's cool to have that title!