It took me nearly 12 years to find this record...

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

It took me nearly 12 years to find this record...

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Question: when was the last time you got a box of free records? Well, after a dry spell of 2 months. I got a Facebook message from my cousin who’s a trash collector saying he found a box of really old records someone had thrown out. 20 minutes later, he drives up to my house, gives me the records, and I go through the box.

Now is it me? Or does it always seem when I get a lot of 78s, it’s always stuff from the 1910s-early 1920s mixed in with stuff with the 1940s and early 1950s? Because that was the age range contained in this box.

I was warned beforehand that some of the records were broken so I was prepared to be a little disappointed.
Most of the broken stuff was mostly the later stuff, unfortunately one of them was a Stan Freedburg copy of “John and Marsha” (is that the line that I used to hear in old cartoons came from?) But unfortunately some 1910s-1920s stuff was lost too. A copy of “Lucky Lindy” on the Regal label was one of them. Unfortunately, a Ken Griffin on the Rondo label was also a survivor... :lol:

But it wasn’t all bad. Many 1920s dance band records survived. There were some sequel records to “Cohen on the Telephone” in the box, usually backed with some random instrumental tune by Prince’s Band. A few Peerless and Stellar Quartette numbers on the Columbia “magic notes” label (that sometimes gave my VV-111 motor a workout.) A suggestive song from the 1950s about a woodpecker on the “blue” record label (sort of tame compared to some party records from this time period.) An early Eugene Ormandy piece on the Cameo label (didn’t realize he was making records that long ago). The oldest record in the bunch was a Victor “patents” label of Billy & Ada’s “My Hula Hula Love”. Also, a certain Arthur Godfrey record about hillbillies and slapping that would raise a few eyebrows today... :shock:

...And this record. I’m amazed it’s taken me 12 years to find a copy of. And it will probably take another 12 years to find the crying version of this one...
Attachments
AB64F5F1-C707-4845-8582-B8D3DF2D191B.jpeg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: It took me nearly 12 years to find this record...

Post by epigramophone »

As Chairman of the CLPGS West of England Group I am the first point of contact if anyone wants something done, and so it was that I was asked to collect between 200 and 300 records before they went to landfill. I got them home just before the Coronavirus restrictions were introduced, and as you yourself found, they are a mixture of everything from WW1 to the early 1950's. Perhaps the most unusual find, at least in the UK, is this 12 inch H.R.S. (Hot Record Society) record :
Attachments
IMG_2242.JPG

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I have the Okeh record. IIRC, there's an instrumental selection on the other side.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wolfe wrote:I have the Okeh record. IIRC, there's an instrumental selection on the other side.
Yeah, Strauss’ “The Gypsy Barron.” Interesting how some of these odd novelty/comedy records always has some random filler instrumental on the other side.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

So I found my record.

I actually have the Okeh Laughing Record Number Two. The other side is Paderewski's Minuet In G played by an uncredited violinist and is actually rather nice.

Ken Doyle
Victor Jr

Post by Ken Doyle »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
Yeah, Strauss’ “The Gypsy Barron.” Interesting how some of these odd novelty/comedy records always has some random filler instrumental on the other side.
It seems to me that "The Gypsy Barron" sounds like it may be playing fast on that record. It sounds more natural to me if I slow the turntable way down. That said, I am really don't know how the piece is supposed to sound.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I recently found this Laughing Record on the Cameo label from 1922. It has two Laughing Songs on it. The one side is called "Laugh and the World Laughs With You". The second side is called "Those Country Days Surely Were it". The performers are Al Weston & Irene Young.
20200329_074423.png
20200329_074449.png
I have also had "Gennett Laughing Record" for awhile. It is also by Al Weston & Irene Young and is likely the same recording. However, the second side is "The Blue Danube Waltz".
20180509_061120 copy.png
This must have been quite a fad in the early 20s.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

The Laughing records are interesting. I recorded a few, one noted was the moe. laughing record.

https://youtu.be/5lpprPO11QE

https://youtu.be/a9e-HHVGl58

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

OK, I clearly have way too much time on my hands. 8-) Two years ago (2018) I made videos of both the OKeh and Gennett Laughing Records. I am now adding my 3rd Laughing Record on the Cameo label. At first I thought it might be a copy of the Gennett record. They were both released the same year by the same artists. But, they are different recordings with different music.

Below are links to all 3 of my Laughing Record videos. I think I may have posted at least one of them a couple of years ago on another thread.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

https://youtu.be/Pomta9e91t8

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

https://youtu.be/BavE2cFUT54

https://youtu.be/lOq7PCktbDU

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I have the Cameo laughing record........ worst 3 minuets of my life :shock: :lol:

I personally hate the record (partially because I am a jazz saxophonist and what he did to that poor saxophone hurts me :lol: ).... Do you guys want them for the sake of having them? or to actually sit down and listen to it.