Im Schallplattenladen (1934)

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Governor Flyball
Victor II

Im Schallplattenladen (1934)

Post by Governor Flyball »

Here is a little film gem. A difficult customer in A pre-WWII German record shop.

My German is weak but the film was amusing nevertheless. Note at the start the HMV/Electrola model 102 and various brands of records.

Watch "The Gramophone Shop - Early German Soundie 16mm film - 1934" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/y0SAZXwWc3U

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Im Schallplattenladen (1934)

Post by marcapra »

boy, with kind of customer, I don't think that grammaphone shop can stay in business very long!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Karl Valentin was a famous German - actually Bavarian - comedian and cabaret performer at that time and was a true pioneer first in silent movies of the 1920s and later in soundies as well. "Im Schallplattenladen" (In the Record Store) is a classic. First he goes into the store and asks for "a round, deep black plate with sound". The store clerk, his long term partner Liesl Karlstadt, tries to figure out what kind of music he likes and makes all kinds of suggestions until he breaks a record. After she suggests a non-breakable record he becomes fascinated by the difference and the mayhem starts. A lot of his films center around completely overdoing the little odd things people do in everyday life. He is very famous in his home town of Munich, Germany where you can find statues and even a museum for him.

Thanks for sharing this treasure!
Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

marcapra wrote:boy, with kind of customer, I don't think that grammaphone shop can stay in business very long!
I doubt that it did...
Another, less lighthearted, look at Munich in 1934..."the little odd things people do in everyday life." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfzwcNAECs
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife