Colored vs. Black shellac.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: Colored vs. Black shellac.

Post by dzavracky »

Shoot thank you for catching that :shock: Can I play them on an electric turntable?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Aeolion-Vocalion brought out the "red records" in 1921. That was a year or so after they abandoned vertical cut. The red A-V's are all lateral.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Any Aeolion-Vocalion, whether vertical or lateral can be played on a modern turntable. The verticals just need a phono cartridge suitably wired for vertical playback. The verticals are "needle records" not jewel ball type.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Wolfe wrote:Any Aeolion-Vocalion, whether vertical or lateral can be played on a modern turntable. The verticals just need a phono cartridge suitably wired for vertical playback. The verticals are "needle records" not jewel ball type.

Great. I will do that when I get home to listen to them

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I particularly like multi-colored "swirled wax" records and it doesn't matter what the titles are. Two of my favorites are Aeolian-Vocalion WWI records from 1916. There is a set of two that were made at that time: (1) is "The Star Spangled Banner", which is red, white and blue swirls and (2) is "Allied Airs", which has the colors of all the allied flags swirled together (shown below). They are both exceptionally hard to find and not cheap... it took me more than 20 years to get both of them...

Other more reasonably priced, but very colorful records are on the Morrison label from Seattle. They are more recent 78s from the 1940s, so the music is not so great.
This website shows a few examples: http://www.georgetownrecords.net/MorrisonRecords.html
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.35.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.35.20 AM.png (708.34 KiB) Viewed 727 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife