J'attendrai....Rina Ketty...35 years in waiting !

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

J'attendrai....Rina Ketty...35 years in waiting !

Post by nostalgia »

Forever remembered as being the Captains favorite song in the German movie, "Das Boot", the scenes from that film were also one of the major reasons why I back in the mid 1980's aqcuired an interest in acoustic gramophones. Yes, at the age of 7 I had played and broken every single one of my grandparents' 78 records, but it was not before "Das Boot" came into my possession as a dvd, that my interest was reignited.
During the years I have only listened to the song on Youtube, being unable to find it locally, and also realizing it was quite expensive to buy online, and the idea of having it shipped through the postal service from abroad was not too tempting. I doubted it would survive, when not being shipped with other 78 records. Two weeks ago, I however was able to find a copy for sale in Belgium, at a very reasonable price, and I made a quick decision, it had to be now..or never!
Two days ago I received an sms that the record had arrived my local post office, and today I picked it up, being nervous about the outcome of this daring project. When receving the parcel, I was immediately let down, the corner of the parcel was bent, and also the parcel did not look too good. I doubted this would end in a good way!
HOWEVER, when I opened the parcel, and removed the record from the cover, it was perfect ! Luckily it was only the area outside the record that had been damaged. The record itself looks like it is hardly played, and I can't wait to play it really. It will be the highlight of this week for sure, and for everyone else, and in particular those who don't know the song, here it is..on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5xSG46gslI
J'attendrai...(I will wait), I waited 35 years to own this record, but it was well worth the waiting :clover:
Attachments
J'attendrai.jpg
Parcel.jpg
parcel 2.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: J'attendrai....Rina Ketty...35 years in waiting !

Post by gramophone-georg »

Das Boot was a great movie! :D

Isn't it amazing when you finally find that special record you have been chasing forever? I had real misgivings when I saw your parcel but it ended well.

Wunderbar!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Excellent, well done! You're doubly lucky - that record had a narrow escape - that packaging was seriously inadequate. When I buy online, unless I know the seller is experienced in shipping 78s I will always insist that the seller follows one of the reliable guides. One of the easiest to point to is Robert Crumb's YouTube video on packing and shipping 78s. Sometimes I'll even offer to pay more for packing.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

maxim
Victor Jr

Post by maxim »

Oh, this is a remake of the italian song: "Tornerai" ("You'll be back")! (1933) :D Which in turn is a remake from Puccini Madama Butterfly's "coro a bocca chiusa" ;)

Luciano Virgili

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Carlo Buti (1937)

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Madama Butterfly

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Sweet and dreamy.

The song's link asked to sign-in.
Here's a link that does not.
J'attendrai (I'll wait)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeFf8CCh3Hw

James.

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

I too have just bought a copy of this disk and am currently waiting for it to arrive. It is such an iconic recording I just had to have it. It took me many years to find out who recorded it and the exact title of the song but I discovered both those things last year via you tube but have been waiting (impatiently!)for a e+ copy at a reasonable price to appear. One did and now its on its way to me.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.