Elvis 78 RPM Record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Elvis 78 RPM Record

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I found this record at a garage sale. The reverse side is entitled "Mystery Train" and I wonder about its year of issue.
Approximate value?
IMG_2492 78 rpm record - Elvis.JPG

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Elvis 78 RPM Record

Post by OrthoFan »

It was recorded on July 11, 1955, according to the information on this site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... _Sun_label so it was probably issued shortly thereafter.

OrthoFan

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Depends greatly on condition. Not outstandingly rare, but very desirable as this is one of Elvis's 5 Sun records before his RCA deal. Ballpark would be $100 for a space filler, $300 in decent playing condition, $500+ for near mint.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

A very lucky find, actually. I've been collecting 78s since before that was recorded and have never found Elvis on Sun. Even his Sun 45s don't turn up; at least I have not found any and I have been junking 45s for years too. I do have a few of his RCA 78s and all of his RCA 4s that I am interested in, though. Your record reached #1 on the country charts in September of 1955. Treat it with care and play it on a modern turntable.

Jim

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

RCA Victor bought the Elvis Sun masters when they bought Elvis's contract. Some of the Sun 78 titles were also then issued on RCA Victor 78's.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

True, I think it was very early in 1956 when this happened, thus the Sun issues were only around for a short while.

Jim

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Congrats Don! I think any 78 on the Sun label goes for a lot of money. IMO His best stuff was on the sun label.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Wow, what a find! The only Suns I find tend to be Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis 45s, and even those, I just can’t pass up. I play them all the time and savor each pop and crackle. I love love love that label and that mystique. Ahhhh.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Thank you for the information and replies. Both sides were played as suggested on a modern turntable and the record is in decent (overall very good) condition. I am thinking about selling it.
Don

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

A great find. These were never imported into Australia. A few British Elvis 78's on the HMV label made it over here.