Is anyone else a fan of this Podcast?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Is anyone else a fan of this Podcast?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

This is a Podcast called John’s Old Time Radio show where members of the East River String band interview 78 collectors and play a few really great tunes. Artist R. Crumb is a frequent guest on this show and tells many interesting stories about collecting records (mainly from the early electric era).

https://eastriverstringband.com/radioshow/

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Is anyone else a fan of this Podcast?

Post by Roaring20s »

I have listened a few times and need to do it some more.
Thanks for bringing it up.

James.

Allens Archive
Victor Jr

Post by Allens Archive »

Great music, but sometimes they get to talking very anti-America politics and it really turns me off. I hear enough political talk now days without them sabatoging their own music show.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

[quote="Allens Archive" I hear enough political talk now days without them sabatoging their own music show.[/quote]

Yes, I believe that is why on the Forum political discussions aren't permitted. I've seen this Forum outlast a number of others, and it certainly retains a lot more good civility. I recently left a forum that had a Philosophy, Religion, and Politics section. Good heavens, what a dumpster fire.

I tried listening to the podcast as well but quite honestly I am just not a big R. Crumb fan and tend to enjoy a little earlier style of music anyway.

With a username like "Allen's Archive" I should think you would have a lot of records to listen to at home!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:[quote="Allens Archive" I hear enough political talk now days without them sabatoging their own music show.
Yes, I believe that is why on the Forum political discussions aren't permitted. I've seen this Forum outlast a number of others, and it certainly retains a lot more good civility. I recently left a forum that had a Philosophy, Religion, and Politics section. Good heavens, what a dumpster fire.

I tried listening to the podcast as well but quite honestly I am just not a big R. Crumb fan and tend to enjoy a little earlier style of music anyway.

With a username like "Allen's Archive" I should think you would have a lot of records to listen to at home![/quote]

I’m not the biggest fan of his art either, but boy does he have some nice records! And his best art IMO are the ones he made of these great blues, jazz, and early country artists. Too bad it’s records a lot of us cannot afford and goes for hundreds on eBay. but he’s a famous artist, I’m sure he has the money for ‘em. Man the Silent generation had it good in the 50s and 60s when these records went for a quarter each!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Robert Crumb may have a great record collection, but that's it...
Personally, he's a sick demented old hippie type leftover from the '60s, and his "art" (for the most part) is a perverse collection of stuff that is abusive to and exploits women...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Curt A wrote:Robert Crumb may have a great record collection, but that's it...
Personally, he's a sick demented old hippie type leftover from the '60s, and his "art" (for the most part) is a perverse collection of stuff that is abusive to and exploits women...
I’m not gonna argue with that but these pictures are pretty good! When I think of R. Crumb I like to think of this stuff.
Attachments
D8236C18-9168-43F0-BB39-56EAE8E80E89.jpeg

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Remember this post is about the Music.

Try and hold back, Curt!!!

I'm sending Andy a link to illustrate your post, without getting into it on the forum.

James.

That post has been Fact-checked ... Giggity-Giggity.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Not saying that he doesn't have some talent... just misdirected...
And Andy, I hope you don't think that my comments had anything, whatsoever, to do with you. By the way, I like his depictions of blues artists as posted...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Curt A wrote:Not saying that he doesn't have some talent... just misdirected...
And Andy, I hope you don't think that my comments had anything, whatsoever, to do with you. By the way, I like his depictions of blues artists as posted...
Yeah, I see many artists that are pretty talented but they do things that make me shake my head.