Wax Amberols that didn’t get a Blue Amberol release

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Wax Amberols that didn’t get a Blue Amberol release

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok folks, most people here if there were to choose the Wax Amberol release or the Blue Amberol release of a title they would go for the blue.

But what titles you can ONLY hear on a Wax Amberol where there we NO Blue Amberol release whatsoever?

I hear Sophie Tucker and Polk Miller releases are the most wanted in this format.

This Cal Stewart title that I bought at the antique store today doesn’t seem to show up often. There are no recordings of it on the UCSB site or YouTube.

I own about 5 WAs and none have fallen apart on me, but I am very cautious because of the stories I’ve read of them self destructing.
Attachments
360CEAD2-507E-49E9-A7FF-A8D198D791B0.jpeg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Wax Amberols that didn’t get a Blue Amberol release

Post by Lucius1958 »

Yeah, I've lost a few WAs that way: one of them practically exploded on the mandrel. Some others cracked just sitting in their boxes... :(

-Bill

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

The Sutton guides to both wax and blue Amberols indicate which titles were also cross-released. You'll want to get them if you don't already have them.

Sophie Tucker never made it to blue Amberol, except for an experimental record that Norman B. made a few copies of. The 4 Polk Miller wax Amberols were all reissued on blue Amberol.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

52089 wrote:The Sutton guides to both wax and blue Amberols indicate which titles were also cross-released. You'll want to get them if you don't already have them.

Sophie Tucker never made it to blue Amberol, except for an experimental record that Norman B. made a few copies of. The 4 Polk Miller wax Amberols were all reissued on blue Amberol.
Where can I find this guide? Is it available online or do I have to buy a physical copy?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Isn’t Irene Franklin also up there with Sophie Tucker for popular artists on wax amberol?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
52089 wrote:The Sutton guides to both wax and blue Amberols indicate which titles were also cross-released. You'll want to get them if you don't already have them.

Where can I find this guide? Is it available online or do I have to buy a physical copy?
What do mean do you have to buy ?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wolfe wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:

What do mean do you have to buy ?
If there is a PDF of the guide on say, Archive.org or do I have to buy a physical copy of the guide from amazon or eBay.

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

They were available from Mainspring Press but they are no longer publishing hard copies. You can download a PDF from them (at a cost) or maybe find used copies.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have always wondered why more Wax Amberol recordings, especially the operatic repertoire, were not reissued as Blue Amberols.
Being directly recorded, their sound quality is vastly superior to dubbings from Diamond discs, which from their first appearance in the UK were known as "Damberols".

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

I believe Tim Fabrizio's rendition of "My Melancholy Baby" was issued only on black wax and was not made available on Blue Amberol. As such, it's exceedingly rare.