Why is noone making celluloid 78 records today?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Why is noone making celluloid 78 records today?

Post by nostalgia »

Donnie, thank you for stepping forward and tell about your business where you actually make 78 records playable on our gramophones, with steel needles.
I have spent quite some time the last year trying to read and understand it if at all was possible to make 78 records today, since shellac is not really an option, and before starting this thread the only responses I was able to find online, was that it was not possible, that no one was doing it, that it was technically impossible because of the materials, grooves etc. in addition to the big money it would cost to even think of making a 78 record playable on our gramophones.
Celluloid discs was only one option I initially thought could maybe substitute shellac for a modern recording, while I at the same time felt it in today's world also most likely would exist optional materials for recording and making 78 records.
I am not on FB myself, so I have very limited access to what you write on your FB site, but it for sure looks very interesting. I am sure, many like me, also would be very interested to know more about your work. If I understand your work correctly, it would actually now be possible to create and manufacture a 78 record with unique music from a ditigal file, music that is never before heard, and never before isued on a record!