Dialogue of the Edison DD Advertising record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
GAR
Victor Jr

Dialogue of the Edison DD Advertising record

Post by GAR »

Does anyone have the complete dialogue of the Edison Diamond Disc Advertising record?

GAR

Victor VI

Re: Dialogue of the Edison DD Advertising record

Post by 52089 »

Courtesy of Google, with a few phrases missing:

If you are a close observer, you have already noticed that the Edison Disc Phonograph requires no change of needles. The reproducer point is a genuine diamond, carefully selected, polished, and fitted. It is never changed. In 1878, Mr. Edison invented and patented the first disc phonograph ever made. But this instrument before you is the first disc phonograph he has ever permitted to be offered to the public in his name. It represents 34 years of personal investigation and experimentation by Mr. Edison and probably marks the limit of human achievement in recording and reproducing sound.

In designing the reproducer for this instrument, Mr. Edison constructed and tested over 2000 different models. The material used in the record was selected with equal care. It is an entirely new material, possessing properties which have a very great cost to the excellence of the reproduction. The motor is many times stronger and more costly than any other motor. With the results that the beautiful tone qualities of the instrument are perfectly sustained at all times. Mr. Edison has conducted a series of exhaustive acoustical experiments which have resulted in new methods of sound recording entirely unknown to other manufacturers and very much superior to their methods.

As you listen to the reproduction of music by this instrument, you will notice that all of the overtones, or tone colors, are recorded and faithfully reproduced. Other sound reproducing instruments are not capable of this, with the result that their reproduction might bid of the fundamental tone and the moral and distorted and intermittent reproduction of nearly one or two of the overtones. Other records, compared with Edison Records, are like an outline-drawing without color, shading, or detail, compared to a finished painting with all the planes, tones, colors, and perspectives. For the first time there is a sound reproducing instrument, which truly reproduces music and does not distort it. The musical volume of this instrument is very much greater than that of any other. The so-called volume of other talking machines is a series of loud, false vibrations, produced by improper methods of recording and reproducing.

In as much as this instrument is capable of a real interpretation of music, Mr. Edison intends to make it the means of offering all the world's finest music to the American people. From month-to-month he will present purposeful programs of music, including the works of the great composers.... a revival of English and ballad opera and historic lyric. A review of the music of the nation. Gems of grand opera, the fine old songs so aptly called art songs. The best musical numbers from modern light opera successes, and all of the contemporary popular music.

The artists who make records for the Edison Disc Phonograph are chosen with the greatest care. They are judged by the standards that prevail in the musical centers of Europe. And include the finest voices in the world. When selecting artists, we disregard the bombastic claims of hired press agents, the illusions of stage-setting **?????**, or the charm of stage presence. We select only those singers whose art is so great, that the full measure of their power itself without being there. Artists whose voices abound in a wealth of color, feeling, and expression. Realizing that the Edison Disc Phonograph is an instrument, as it appears to the most highly cultured people, we offer in the design of our instruments pure types of the following schools of furniture: Adam, Jacobean, Sheraton, Louis the 15th, and Louis the 16th, in addition to a well considered type of modern Renaissance **????** to a mixed ***???*** of furnishings. Now if you will permit this instrument to play a record selected by you, it will more than prove all of the statements I have made............

GAR
Victor Jr

Post by GAR »

Thanks 52089, I didn't see this on Google.

Jerry

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

I'm not sure of the first unknown words, but it sounds like "the illusions of stage settings and ???," something sounding like "vappery."

The second phrase is surely "...modern Renaissance suited to a mixed scheme of furnishings."

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Here's an upload of the audio as a raw WAV file. It could use some cleanup but is good enough to hear what he's saying...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

coyote wrote:I'm not sure of the first unknown words, but it sounds like "the illusions of stage settings and ???," something sounding like "vappery."
"Trappery", perhaps? :geek:

- Bill

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Dumb question but has Don Wilson made any new copies of this record?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Dumb question but has Don Wilson made any new copies of this record?
I'm not aware of Donnie making these, but Norman in Berlin made a really deluxe version a while back. Now out of print but it shows up occasionally.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Lucius1958 wrote: "Trappery", perhaps? :geek:

- Bill
Very likely, as it sounds the most logical to me! Thanks! :)

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

52089 wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Dumb question but has Don Wilson made any new copies of this record?
I'm not aware of Donnie making these, but Norman in Berlin made a really deluxe version a while back. Now out of print but it shows up occasionally.
I've recently molded it but haven't had a chance to make any copies yet. So far I have one copy owed to the person who sent it to me and three copies going to museums.