OKeh TrueTone records.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonplayer
Victor IV

OKeh TrueTone records.

Post by edisonplayer »

I noticed that on the labels of OKeh TrueTone records some say General Phonograph Corporation and others say OKeh Phonograph Corporation. I think the ones with the latter designation came out after Columbia bought out the General Phonograph Corporation. Also,I told a friend that I think some of the TrueTone OKehs are electric edisonplayer.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: OKeh TrueTone records.

Post by Wolfe »

edisonplayer wrote:I noticed that on the labels of OKeh TrueTone records some say General Phonograph Corporation and others say OKeh Phonograph Corporation. I think the ones with the latter designation came out after Columbia bought out the General Phonograph Corporation.
Yes.
edisonplayer wrote:Also,I told a friend that I think some of the TrueTone OKehs are electric.
Okeh began using electric recording in September, 1926. If the matrix # dates the recording after that and it's a TrueTone label it could be electric. Maybe early electric Okeh records used up old label stock or something before the new "Okeh Electric" labels.

barrympls
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Barry in Minneapolis

Re: OKeh TrueTone records.

Post by barrympls »

Honest and for true, although Truetone OKeh's are louder than the prior acoustic OKeh's,, they are acoustic.

It seems to me that years ago, I had a OKeh Truetone that had an OE in an oval in the lead-out. It was a vocal record of no interest and I didn't keep it.