The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rare Victor Patents Record?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:37 pm 
Victor Jr
A precursory internet search revealed some individuals pricing this record high, but is it truly rare and/or valuable?

Attachments:
How I Reached the Pole.JPG
How I Reached the Pole.JPG [ 2.65 MiB | Viewed 792 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rare Victor Patents Record?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 pm 
Victor V
What looks like a EX copy of a speech by a noted historical figure on an early Victor disc. It's going to be worth something indeed. If the record was trashed, probably not so much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:49 pm 
Victor Jr
The polar exploration records, which include Frederick Cook (31755), Ernest Shackleton (70014) and Comm. Robert Peary (70012) are all premium discs. Released in 1909 & 1910, they are illustrated and discussed in some detail in the Collector's Guide. Cook's is perhaps the most interesting, as he was never able to substantiate his claim, and later went to prison on an unrelated fraud charge. They're worth what someone is willing to pay of course, but low three-figure values are typically seen. Nauck's Auctions offers them fairly regularly.

Attachments:
p151.jpg
p151.jpg [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 749 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:02 pm 
Victor Jr
Wolfe and msherman - Thank you both for your replies. Its fun to learn that there is some value behind it, although I would have enjoyed the record regardless - such an interesting topic!

In particular, thanks for sharing the page of that book; I may have to pick up a copy myself. Tempting to try to find the other two!

Sorting through the other records in the same album, I came across these two Grand Prize records, and am wondering about them as well.

Guessing they don't rise to the same level as Dr. Cook, but figured I'd ask :D :lol:

Many thanks!

Attachments:
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3597.jpg [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 721 times ]
IMG_3596.jpg
IMG_3596.jpg [ 2.24 MiB | Viewed 721 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:32 pm 
Victor Jr
The other two records are probably not quite worth what the Cook record is worth, but they are good titles, and they all appear to be in very nice condition.
"Casey" has crossover interest from the sports collecting community as well. 12" Grand Prize records are seldom seen in that condition. They are often plagued with needle run or excessive wear. Nice find.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:36 pm 
Victor V
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
Grand Prize and Patents label discs are wonderful to collect; they are like batwings but have a special sound to them. If you have an Exhibition or No. 2 box on your machine, HAVE FUN.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:18 am 
Victor Jr
Many thanks everyone! Yes I found the lot in the album pictured below.

It seems the album bore the brunt of time & element to preserve the full contents in overall great condition - all Grand Prize and Patent records, mostly 12", as well as some Fonotipia records I've inquired about here: https://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46593

"Casey" was one of the first records in the album, and being a fan of the poem, I bought the rest sight unseen - little did I realize what I had!

Yes, VanEpsFan1914, I've put my No. 2 reproducer to work!

Attachments:
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg [ 2.88 MiB | Viewed 707 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:01 pm 
Victor Jr
records galore
I found the blue label Victor with Peary and Shackleton, and traded it to a record dealer for $250 in credit. This was about ten years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:40 pm 
Victor IV
msherman wrote:
The polar exploration records, which include Frederick Cook (31755), Ernest Shackleton (70014) and Comm. Robert Peary (70012) are all premium discs. Released in 1909 & 1910, they are illustrated and discussed in some detail in the Collector's Guide. Cook's is perhaps the most interesting, as he was never able to substantiate his claim, and later went to prison on an unrelated fraud charge. They're worth what someone is willing to pay of course, but low three-figure values are typically seen. Nauck's Auctions offers them fairly regularly.

I know the Wax Amberol cylinders are just about up there in price with Polk Miller and Sophie Tucker for most sought out WAs.