Preventing record wear

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Anna-marie Berliner
Victor Jr

Preventing record wear

Post by Anna-marie Berliner »

I have a little wonder record with a repaired crack in it, but still every time I play it the area where the crack is wears down quite a bit. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Preventing record wear

Post by Wolfe »

I know what you mean. Repaired cracks are still tough sledding on a windup machine with a steel needle. Every time the needle catches that crack, a little bit more shellac breaks off.

Can't help ya.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

You cannot undo a bad repair and even a good one will incur further damage at that spot.
You're just getting extended enjoyment from the record until you find a better copy.

A double sided disc with a crack is the worse. It's rare that a glue job will result in a perfectly flat surface for the needle to pass. One side will often have a minuscule drop and the other a minuscule ridge. Some cracks are very tight and end up with a better result. A lively tune often masks some of the ticking. No hope with a softer tune. This has been the majority my experience.

James.

Anna-marie Berliner
Victor Jr

Post by Anna-marie Berliner »

Thank you for your help. Luckily the record is not rare. So I can try to find another one. But until then I guess I'm stuck with the one I have. The wear is not too bad, so I've got a few more plays.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

What is the title????

Joseph Clack
Victor Jr
Personal Text: records galore

Post by Joseph Clack »

My way of saving a cracked record is to put super glue on the edge of the record where the crack begins, then I put weight on the record for a while until the glue sets. The record will usually play with minimal or no crack noise. With one-sided records I also put glue on the blank side covering the crack.