Acoustic Enhancement Example on My Podcast

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Acoustic Enhancement Example on My Podcast

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Group,

#35 on my Podcast features an example of how I am able to take an Acoustically recorded song (Nobody Lied when they said I cried) by the Broadway Dance Orchestra and modify the sound to "add back in" some of the missing lower and upper notes. The method is much more than just turning up the bass and treble setting. Check it out and let me know what you think about my method.

Vic

https://www.buzzsprout.com/676831/

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Acoustic Enhancement Example on My Podcast

Post by Wolfe »

Sounds pretty good. Bass synthesizer or something newer technologically ?

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II

Wolfe,

Thanks for the complement. The software algorithm is somewhat more than a bass synthesizer in that it picks specific frequencies below a set value and when it finds a frequency, interjects a value one-half of the found value.

Along with this software I also use software to eliminate "thumps" and low frequency noise. In addition, there is other harmonic generating algorithms and lastly bass and treble tone controls.

One of the interesting aspects to this method I developed is that it works well with Edison recordings but not so good with Victor records. I believe that the use of "dead" recording studio by Edison vs "Lively" recording studio with Victor is a reason.

Marc

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Marc Hildebrant wrote:
The software algorithm is somewhat more than a bass synthesizer in that it picks specific frequencies below a set value and when it finds a frequency, interjects a value one-half of the found value.
Interesting. Very interesting.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

You have basically re-invented the dbx subharmonic synthesizer...

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/510

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

It sounds really nice - but I couldn't help noticing that the saxophone solo is now doubled an octave below.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The manipulated version sounds warmer than the acoustic, but also less focussed. It reminds me of stereo versions of 20s music that Robert Parker issued in the 80s. In that case there was so much manipulation of the phonograms that the music sounded as played in a deep cave. This version is much less artificial, but to my ears removes the directness of the acoustic recording, especially in the case of Edison. Their engineers mastered the acoustic recording technique, leaving little to be added in terms of improvements.

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II

Thanks for the comments. I approached the problem of lack of low end and have one solution. Others can suggest other techniques or just enjoy the music for what it is.

I first heard these wonderful songs about 60 years ago and have always enjoyed them. The added low end adds another level of enjoyment.

Marc

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II

Group,

So, what is your opinion of the method ? Would you want to hear more of these enhanced songs or stay with the original sound ?

Marc

Zkeener323
Victor I

Post by Zkeener323 »

I like both, as long as the original audio is supplied for comparison