The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A BLACK "Red Record"?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:01 am 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am
Posts: 3559
Location: Where there's "hamburger ALL OVER the highway"...
On Facebook, I saw a post from Adrian Smith, with accompanying photo.

He apparently has come into possession of American Talking Machine Record Disc #17(8?), "The Prize Cake Walker is Uncle Sam", by Dan W. Quinn.

This label was produced for the extremely short-lived Vitaphone Talking Machine; but the only photo of such a record I have seen is in red shellac. This disc is in black shellac.

He asks what the value of this disc might be, compared to a Berliner: what say you?

Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A BLACK "Red Record"?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:13 am 
Offline
Victor VI
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 3712
Location: Western Canada
Tell him to check on Ebay. There have been a few on lately. These are later 1903-04 and not part of the earlier Vitaphone brick red records.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-RPM-MUSEUM-Q ... xyUrZSuFkq
Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg [ 94.18 KiB | Viewed 1239 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A BLACK "Red Record"?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 3716
Location: Western, WA State
Why are these records so expensive? Are they really that rare? The one on ebay looks worn with a rough label, and over 3 grand :shock: Yikes!!
Harvey Kravitz.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A BLACK "Red Record"?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:13 pm 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 380
Location: Just a smidgen north of Oakland, CA
Harvey, I'm sure these records are quite rare… Whether they are desirable enough for anybody to pay over $3000 is another matter. Especially in the condition shown.

This particular eBay seller, my78s4u , regularly lists very interesting records at prices that, IMHO, are beyond what the market will bear. I guess he knows what he is doing.

Best wishes, Mark


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A BLACK "Red Record"?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:45 am 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am
Posts: 3559
Location: Where there's "hamburger ALL OVER the highway"...
gramophone78 wrote:
Tell him to check on Ebay. There have been a few on lately. These are later 1903-04 and not part of the earlier Vitaphone brick red records.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-RPM-MUSEUM-Q ... xyUrZSuFkq
Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg


The label pictured here is not the same as what A.S. posted: his disc has an etched label, and is clearly labeled AMERICAN TALKING MACHINE RECORD DISC, just as the earlier "Red Records" were.
,

Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A BLACK "Red Record"?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:15 am 
Offline
Victor VI
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 3712
Location: Western Canada
Lucius1958 wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:
Tell him to check on Ebay. There have been a few on lately. These are later 1903-04 and not part of the earlier Vitaphone brick red records.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-RPM-MUSEUM-Q ... xyUrZSuFkq
Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg


The label pictured here is not the same as what A.S. posted: his disc has an etched label, and is clearly labeled AMERICAN TALKING MACHINE RECORD DISC, just as the earlier "Red Records" were.
Bill


Sorry Bill, I misread your post. I seem to recall an American Talking Machine Disk Record in black sell on Ebay a few months ago out of Australia. Maybe the black was for export..??.

Can you post the pic of the record..??. I can't find the one on Ebay now.
I remember it sold for good money.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A BLACK "Red Record"?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:45 am 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am
Posts: 3559
Location: Where there's "hamburger ALL OVER the highway"...
gramophone78 wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:
Tell him to check on Ebay. There have been a few on lately. These are later 1903-04 and not part of the earlier Vitaphone brick red records.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-RPM-MUSEUM-Q ... xyUrZSuFkq
Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg


The label pictured here is not the same as what A.S. posted: his disc has an etched label, and is clearly labeled AMERICAN TALKING MACHINE RECORD DISC, just as the earlier "Red Records" were.
Bill


Sorry Bill, I misread your post. I seem to recall an American Talking Machine Disk Record in black sell on Ebay a few months ago out of Australia. Maybe the black was for export..??.

Can you post the pic of the record..??. I can't find the one on Ebay now.
I remember it sold for good money.


Here is the URL of the photo in question: I hope it works.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A BLACK "Red Record"?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:40 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 8:34 pm
Posts: 6
Hi. Nice to see that my little record got some interest. Thanks Bill for posting here.
I still have the record and have yet to find another of its type in black shellac.
The record (see picture) is:

The Prize Cakewalker is Uncle Sam
Comic Song
Sung by Dan W Quinn
278

Amazingly the text (T) goes into the grooves!

Comments most welcome.


Attachments:
20201016_084256.jpg
20201016_084256.jpg [ 2.49 MiB | Viewed 263 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Marco Gilardetti and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Content © 2009-2020 by The Talking Machine Forum and the respective posters.
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.