Problems with an orthopedic reproducer

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Anna-marie Berliner
Victor Jr

Problems with an orthopedic reproducer

Post by Anna-marie Berliner »

My victrola vv 4-3 has an off brand unmarked orthophonic reproducer. So I don't know what company made it. For the most part it sounds fine but it has a rattling sound to it. I've been trying to figure it out for over a month. There's no air leaks, the gaskets are good, the diaphrahm is in good condition, and I'm pretty certain it's the reproducer itself making the noise, not some other part rattling. Any help at all is really appreciated.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Problems with an orthopedic reproducer

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Anna-marie Berliner wrote:My victrola vv 4-3 has an off brand unmarked orthophonic reproducer. So I don't know what company made it. For the most part it sounds fine but it has a rattling sound to it. I've been trying to figure it out for over a month. There's no air leaks, the gaskets are good, the diaphrahm is in good condition, and I'm pretty certain it's the reproducer itself making the noise, not some other part rattling. Any help at all is really appreciated.
Gotta love autocorrect that changes orthophonic to orthopedic. :lol: Personally I’d rather just get another orthophonic from the Yankee Trader section or EBay. Nothing beats the original. I have a few orthos the need to be redone. But that won’t be done until after my next big machine purchase. *sigh* so many projects but so little money...

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Can you post a photo of the reproducer? Someone may be able to identify it.

As for the rattle, how is the needle-bar held in place? Between pointed screws? In ball bearings? Oftentimes an improperly adjusted or seated needle bar can cause rattling. The needle bar should be able to move back and forth in the direction required to track the record and plunge the diaphragm in and out, but not sideways--or in the opposite direction.

OrthoFan

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I know the title is a mistake, but when I first read it I couldn't imagine what problems you could have with a "reproducer prosthesis"... :? :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Anna-marie Berliner
Victor Jr

Post by Anna-marie Berliner »

Here is a picture of the ORTHOPHONIC (I guess autocorrect doesn't see orthophonic as a word) reproducer. I'll try readjusting the needle bar and see if that works. Thanks to everyone helping!
Attachments
IMG_20201009_212553095.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Oh cool. That's not an original Victrola one but it's definitely a neat 1920s reproducer -- the brand escapes me at present but it's one to keep.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes! I've seen it elsewhere... but can't remember anything except it looks familiar to me... Sorry :oops:
Inigo

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

That looks like the type of sound box fitted to the late 1930's Birch portable phonograph models --
Capture.JPG
FROM: https://picclick.com/Vintage-Birch-Port ... 23066.html

While these could sound quite good when overhauled with fresh diaphragm gaskets, and properly adjusted, they are really no match for the sound quality and power of a well restored Orthophonic sound box, which was specifically designed to work with the exponential Orthophonic horn installed in the Consolette and larger Orthophonic models. As AmberolaAndy noted, "nothing beats the original."

OrthoFan

EDIT -- Sorry to have killed this post string.