How Do You Buy and Listen to Your Music ?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

How Do You Buy and Listen to Your Music ?

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Group,

After restoring a number of Edison Music Songs and considering the sale of the music, I was wondering how you buy your music today ?

Personally, I have always bought CD's of the music I want, yet today, many people use the Internet to buy and download music. Also, people have told me that they use "Youtube" as a way to just listen to music.

One of my neighbors had a large collection on a computer server and played his music using his own LAN (Local Area Net).

Comments ?

Marc

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: How Do You Buy and Listen to Your Music ?

Post by JerryVan »

CD's, 78's, cylinders, YouTube, XM satellite radio.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

78s and cylinders, and that's it. I don't even own an electric record player; everything here is hand-cranked.

As far as more modern stuff goes I do listen to broadcasts on the radio sometimes--My newest is a 1954 model.

You could say I tend to live like it's the 1900s and you'd not be wrong. I like it better this way.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Here in s.e. Pennsylvania we are blessed with no fewer than four (4!), count 'em "four," classical music stations on ordinary FM radio. I know of no other region anywhere that can make that claim. The calls are WDIY Lehigh Valley Public Radio (classical on weekday mornings), WWFM Trenton/Mercer County (NJ) Public Radio, WRTI Temple University-Philadelphia (classical and jazz), and WVIA Scranton-Wilkes-Barre Public Radio. Even major metro areas like Boston and New York don't have this abundance of musical riches on radio. I also listen to CDs, YouTube, LPs, 78s, DVDs, and (rarely) cassette tapes. Away from recorded or broadcast media, I generally always have something playing in my head as well (I'm a retired classical musician). Otherwise I listen to SportsTalk radio and watch Eagles games!
Last edited by Henry on Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

My collection comprises 78's, Pathé discs, Blue Amberols and CD's. I never liked vinyl, and gradually replaced all my classical LP's with CD's.
My wife is also a collector. Her interests are in mechanical music, including disc and cylinder musical boxes and an organette. We compete for space!

On the radio I listen to BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM. Radio 3 features too much modern atonal noise by talentless charlatans, and Classic FM is spoilt by crass commercial breaks. My ideal listening would be Classic FM without the adverts.

On TV the Sky Arts channel has recently become available on Freeview, screening some operas and ballets. Unfortunately many of these are set out of period. For example, Il Trovatore was set by Verdi in the 15th Century. It does not look good set in the 21st.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Anything and anywhere I can get it. On nearly every format I’ve collected so far.

I listen to my machines, I listen on YouTube, I listen on archive.org, I listen on the USCB cylinder site, I listen on the National Jukebox on Loc.gov.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

In the car it’s FM radio is constant with the occasional CD (dollar CDs from estate sales).

At home my primary enjoyment in music is via 78’s and the occasional cylinder on wind-up machines. The specific 78’s I want are primarily obtained via record auction sites. My secondary method is from picking local sales. Just the stuff I want to hear again and again.

Also at home, radio, CD and on-line music are occasional.

James.
:coffee:

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

78s, cylinders, LPs, open reel tapes, CDs, MP3s, Sirius, FM radio, internet radio—lots of formats, but almost all of it classical music (including opera). Did I forget anything? Most listening involves 78s and LPs.

Bill

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

My monthly splurge is a YouTube Premium subscription. I’ve been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately, and playlists of soft classical piano (Debussy, Satie, etc.), with no commercial interruptions, has been very nice.

Other than that, I buy very specific 78s for my windups, played with bamboo at home.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

I play 78's.