Buying a group of records for one you've been looking for.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Buying a group of records for one you've been looking for.

Post by edisonplayer »

Has anyone bought a group of discs or cylinders to get one you've been looking for? I did that last month with EBay.It was a wax Amberol..edisonplayer.

Victor VI

Re: Buying a group of records for one you've been looking fo

Post by 52089 »

Many times. Too many actually... :oops:

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

edisonplayer wrote:Has anyone bought a group of discs or cylinders to get one you've been looking for? I did that last month with EBay.It was a wax Amberol..edisonplayer.
Constantly. :lol: Some really large groups, too! :?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

The cylinder that I bought the group on Ebay for was wax Amberol 574,"By The Light of the Silvery Moon Medley",played by the New York Military Band. edisonplayer.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

About this time last year I bought around 8000 78s to get two EMGs and a few other nice machines. There were some great things amongst the records but most of them are still cluttering the place up - I meant to invite friends to take any they wanted, but that hasn't been possible in these bizarre times!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Yup. A bunch of misc cylinders to get "Take Me Out To The Ballgame". Seller intended to junk the records and make the tubes into candle holders (dry century old paper and fire, what could go wrong?)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Ha, ha... Just yesterday i humbly bought five 78s just to get a special one I broke! Just to arrive home and find that I already had replaced the broken one years ago! :oops:
Now I have three copies of it ! The other records I bought for curiosity... One of them looks interesting (haven't played it yet). A Spanish orchestra playing Casey Jones Blues, backed by Billy Cotton band playing The music goes round and round...
Inigo

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

A seller offered me a collection of 40 Berliners. He knew their average value and he was firm on the price and the deal was they sold as a lot. I drove out to look at them and found that one was pressed in hard rubber, which there are only four known US Berliners pressed in this material. This was a lot of money to spend on records but I wasn't going to pass up on such a rare piece of history.

I also bought a collection of 1,500 78's to get my first copy of "Charleston" on Diamond Disc. It was worth it financially but was a ton of work to sort and sell the rest.