Walter Piston's String Quartet no. 1

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Walter Piston's String Quartet no. 1

Post by marcapra »

I just played a new acquisition. The previous owner wrote his name and the date he bought it inside the album, May 5, 1941. It is Columbia M-388, Walter Piston, String Quartet No. 1. It was composed in 1933. The sound on these 78s was so good it felt like the Dorian Quartet was in my room playing for me. The sound of the cello was particularly fine! From the first bars of this quartet I was floored. Amazing sounds, and I'm mostly unfamiliar with Piston's work. Now I will look for more. I have read that Piston's Quintet is a masterpiece.

SteveM
Victor II

Re: Walter Piston's String Quartet no. 1

Post by SteveM »

Sorry I missed this earlier! I'll be on the lookout for it. I've been taking refuge in the classics, of late.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Steve, I know what you mean. Even though I love classical music, I have been telling people if they have classical 78s to donate or dump them. But when they are good, they are very good especially when they are in excellent condition from one owner homes. Another quartet that really affected me was the Bartok String Quartet No. 2. So I've started collecting classical and opera 78s again. I would love to find some Edgard Varese 78s like Ionisation.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

marcapra wrote:I just played a new acquisition. The previous owner wrote his name and the date he bought it inside the album, May 5, 1941. It is Columbia M-388, Walter Piston, String Quartet No. 1. It was composed in 1933. The sound on these 78s was so good it felt like the Dorian Quartet was in my room playing for me. The sound of the cello was particularly fine! From the first bars of this quartet I was floored. Amazing sounds, and I'm mostly unfamiliar with Piston's work. Now I will look for more. I have read that Piston's Quintet is a masterpiece.
A friend's nifty, but now inactive, blog called "Shellackophile" has several entries about Piston that you may find interesting: https://shellackophile.blogspot.com/search/label/Piston

A Piston 78 he doesn't mention (or, if he did, I missed it) is the following:

Piston: Prelude and Allegro (for Organ and Orchestra). Biggs; BSO/Koussevitzky. Victor 11-9262-A, -B, 12".

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

marcapra wrote:...Even though I love classical music, I have been telling people if they have classical 78s to donate or dump them. ...
:o NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

drh wrote:
marcapra wrote:...Even though I love classical music, I have been telling people if they have classical 78s to donate or dump them. ...
:o NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My reaction as well!!!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marcapra wrote:Steve, I know what you mean. Even though I love classical music, I have been telling people if they have classical 78s to donate or dump them. But when they are good, they are very good especially when they are in excellent condition from one owner homes. Another quartet that really affected me was the Bartok String Quartet No. 2. So I've started collecting classical and opera 78s again. I would love to find some Edgard Varese 78s like Ionisation.
I had a copy of that on Royal Blue. I gave it to a close friend who was half of the "Varese- Serabande" label from its inception until it was bought by Sony a few years ago. He transferred it to CD and framed the original for his office.

It was interesting but not my thing.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek