12" Columbia Viva-tonal records. Wow!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
SteveM
Victor II

12" Columbia Viva-tonal records. Wow!

Post by SteveM »

I've been obsessed with "Clair De Lune" lately, and found one on Viva-tonal. I have quite a few 10" Viva-tonals, and always marvel at their quality, both of sound, and their feel in the hand. This is my first 12" though, and it is a force to be reckoned with. Seems to be almost as heavy as a comparable-sized pane of glass, just off-the-charts quality. Sure, there's the expected lamination crack or two, but who cares.

I'd love to hunt for a couple more of these. Does anybody have a favorite 12" Viva-tonal?
Attachments
IMG_0081.jpeg
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: 12" Columbia Viva-tonal records. Wow!

Post by Inigo »

In Spain they were issued by our independent associated Columbia co. in similar heavy and nice quality. They're great! Also British and French Columbias of the era were great!
Inigo

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Inigo wrote:In Spain they were issued by our independent associated Columbia co. in similar heavy and nice quality. They're great! Also British and French Columbias of the era were great!
Interesting. I have a UK set that I *think* may be of similar vintage (hmmm ... I could be wrong though). The Viva-tonal (on the right) is 1.5 ounces heavier. Noticeably the heaviest record I own. Just a beast!
Attachments
IMG_0082.jpeg
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Yes Columbia records can sound great. See my post on the Walter Piston quartet! And it has Percy Grainger playing piano! He's quite a composer in his own right.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Are the American Viva tonals like the latter Columbia CBS? Do they have the acute edges? Or they have rounded edges? In Spain, after 1931, there were no more laminated pressings, although they were extremely good material. French records though continued with the laminated records until the mid fifties...
Inigo

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

SteveM wrote:Does anybody have a favorite 12" Viva-tonal?
This could well be mine! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV6o9NiY4nI
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I've been a Viva-Tonal fan. The sound of some of them. Don't know what that something is since in the 20's they were using Western Electric recording gear, same as Victor. Victors to me tend toward a "dryer" sound and better bass. But Columbias of the period have that midrange presence.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

marcapra wrote:Yes Columbia records can sound great. See my post on the Walter Piston quartet! And it has Percy Grainger playing piano! He's quite a composer in his own right.
It's so funny that we both had a post about Percy Grainger! I now need to find out much more about him!

P. G. Wodehouse

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Wolfe wrote:I've been a Viva-Tonal fan. The sound of some of them. Don't know what that something is since in the 20's they were using Western Electric recording gear, same as Victor. Victors to me tend toward a "dryer" sound and better bass. But Columbias of the period have that midrange presence.

Indeed, I think I've heard it sometimes described as "boxy"(or maybe that's Harmony ... hmmm) ... definitely its own unique qualities. Yes, midrange!

P. G. Wodehouse

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Orchorsol wrote:
SteveM wrote:Does anybody have a favorite 12" Viva-tonal?
This could well be mine! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV6o9NiY4nI
I love solo instruments, and that is very fine indeed! I'd love to hear something like a Bach Cello Suite on that EMG!

P. G. Wodehouse