The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning Brown Wax cylinders with Mold
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:52 pm 
Victor Jr
Hello Everyone,
I recently found a lot of brown wax cylinders. However, some have slight mold developments in them, as shown in the first image. Is it possible to clean them and prevent the spread of it? Furthermore, what is the best method to clean brown wax cylinders?

Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.46.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.46.jpeg [ 36.08 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.47.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.47.jpeg [ 83.73 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.48.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.48.jpeg [ 82.46 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Brown Wax cylinders with Mold
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:35 pm 
Victor VI
The mold is damage and there's no way to undo it.

Generally speaking, the best cleaner for wax cylinders is a chemical called Labtone. If you search the board, you'll find posts with instructions, tips, etc. I don't know if Rich Gordon still sells it, but he used to, and I may have some somewhere I could send you.

Congrats on a good find. I hope the cylinders turn out to be interesting. Be sure to play them with a lightweight reproducer like a Model B or a Columbia "floating" type.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:14 pm 
Victor V
PM sent.

Rich Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:22 am 
Victor IV
I’ll say congrats on getting those cylinders. It’s more brown wax than I’ve ever found in 4 years! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:52 pm 
Victor III
In general, Labtone can be used for a first cleaning procedure, if preferred, but it does not kill any mold. In fact, it's based on diluted minerals, which mold can feed on.

After cleaning with Labtone you ought to consider giving it another wipe with 70% isopropyl alcohol. The 30% water content is necessary to actually allow the alcohol to penetrate the mold spores. I have been using isopropyl alcohol on my most precious wax cylinders as well very successfully over many years now. Give them a clean wipe afterwards with a cotton pad. I usually do this with the cylinder turning on the mandrel.

Also, you should consider to carefully spray the inside of the padded cylinder boxes with alcohol as well and allowing them to dry properly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:15 pm 
Victor O
Vic-Trolla
The mold extends into the record and doesn't stay on the surface. Sometimes when you play the record the grooves clean up some, but in general the mold causes permanent damage. After the music is digitized, I have been able to remove the scratchy mold sound and interpolate the music into the bad sound as long as the length of the distortion is somewhat small.

Cracked and moldy 2 minute records are very common...

Marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:49 am 
Victor Jr
Thanks 52089 for the tip on playing the brown wax cylinders. These are my first batch of brown wax cylinders.
Thanks AmberolaAndy! It was a surprise find! :shock: :shock:

WDC wrote:
In general, Labtone can be used for a first cleaning procedure, if preferred, but it does not kill any mold. In fact, it's based on diluted minerals, which mold can feed on.

After cleaning with Labtone you ought to consider giving it another wipe with 70% isopropyl alcohol. The 30% water content is necessary to actually allow the alcohol to penetrate the mold spores. I have been using isopropyl alcohol on my most precious wax cylinders as well very successfully over many years now. Give them a clean wipe afterwards with a cotton pad. I usually do this with the cylinder turning on the mandrel.

Also, you should consider to carefully spray the inside of the padded cylinder boxes with alcohol as well and allowing them to dry properly.

Thanks Norman. I came across your previous posts about this method. You seem to be using it for the last 15 years? I assume it to be a very successful method. I am going to try it soon.

I have a question for all the experts here. Why not use one or two small silica gel packets inside the record container to control the moisture? Technically it prevents mold formation since it whisks away moisture.