Cleaning Brown Wax cylinders with Mold

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
zippy
Victor Jr

Cleaning Brown Wax cylinders with Mold

Post by zippy »

Hello Everyone,
I recently found a lot of brown wax cylinders. However, some have slight mold developments in them, as shown in the first image. Is it possible to clean them and prevent the spread of it? Furthermore, what is the best method to clean brown wax cylinders?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.46.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.47.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-12 at 18.38.48.jpeg

Victor VI

Re: Cleaning Brown Wax cylinders with Mold

Post by 52089 »

The mold is damage and there's no way to undo it.

Generally speaking, the best cleaner for wax cylinders is a chemical called Labtone. If you search the board, you'll find posts with instructions, tips, etc. I don't know if Rich Gordon still sells it, but he used to, and I may have some somewhere I could send you.

Congrats on a good find. I hope the cylinders turn out to be interesting. Be sure to play them with a lightweight reproducer like a Model B or a Columbia "floating" type.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

PM sent.

Rich Gordon

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’ll say congrats on getting those cylinders. It’s more brown wax than I’ve ever found in 4 years! :lol:

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

In general, Labtone can be used for a first cleaning procedure, if preferred, but it does not kill any mold. In fact, it's based on diluted minerals, which mold can feed on.

After cleaning with Labtone you ought to consider giving it another wipe with 70% isopropyl alcohol. The 30% water content is necessary to actually allow the alcohol to penetrate the mold spores. I have been using isopropyl alcohol on my most precious wax cylinders as well very successfully over many years now. Give them a clean wipe afterwards with a cotton pad. I usually do this with the cylinder turning on the mandrel.

Also, you should consider to carefully spray the inside of the padded cylinder boxes with alcohol as well and allowing them to dry properly.

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

The mold extends into the record and doesn't stay on the surface. Sometimes when you play the record the grooves clean up some, but in general the mold causes permanent damage. After the music is digitized, I have been able to remove the scratchy mold sound and interpolate the music into the bad sound as long as the length of the distortion is somewhat small.

Cracked and moldy 2 minute records are very common...

Marc

zippy
Victor Jr

Post by zippy »

Thanks 52089 for the tip on playing the brown wax cylinders. These are my first batch of brown wax cylinders.
Thanks AmberolaAndy! It was a surprise find! :shock: :shock:
WDC wrote:In general, Labtone can be used for a first cleaning procedure, if preferred, but it does not kill any mold. In fact, it's based on diluted minerals, which mold can feed on.

After cleaning with Labtone you ought to consider giving it another wipe with 70% isopropyl alcohol. The 30% water content is necessary to actually allow the alcohol to penetrate the mold spores. I have been using isopropyl alcohol on my most precious wax cylinders as well very successfully over many years now. Give them a clean wipe afterwards with a cotton pad. I usually do this with the cylinder turning on the mandrel.

Also, you should consider to carefully spray the inside of the padded cylinder boxes with alcohol as well and allowing them to dry properly.
Thanks Norman. I came across your previous posts about this method. You seem to be using it for the last 15 years? I assume it to be a very successful method. I am going to try it soon.

I have a question for all the experts here. Why not use one or two small silica gel packets inside the record container to control the moisture? Technically it prevents mold formation since it whisks away moisture.

MisterGramophone
Victor I
Personal Text: I love shellac!

Post by MisterGramophone »

Unfortunately, if a cylinder get moldy, it can’t be fixed. If you try to fix it, you will just end up ripping out the grooves.
Gramophone :pig:

TAP
Victor Jr

Post by TAP »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rnq832 ... ollections. This is a 30-minute talk by John Levin and Don Wilson for ARSC. More than you want to know about wax cylinder degradation. They found the large majority of "mold" was caused by chemical oxidation rather than mold. They could characterize 11 different types of "mold" of which one was easily removable. They had some modest success on some of the other types with an ultrasonic treatment, but I wouldn't try this myself.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

If the cylinders are truly infected with a fungus or mildew, you can try eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) shavings. The wood has powerful antifungal and insecticidal properties.

I have used the shavings with 78s, vintage books, musical instruments, musical instrument cases, vintage leather goods, guitar amplifiers, etc, etc.

1) If what is infected can be washed or wiped (probably not cylinders) you can make a tea by pouring boiling water into a small container packed tight with shavings. When it cools, strain it and use it with a soft cloth to wash or wipe the item (whichever seems most appropriate), checking that the tea does not stain first. If the infected item can't be washed, skip to 2b).

2a) Dry the infected item gently. If it can be exposed to direct sunlight safely, use the sunlight to help with the drying. When well dried, go to 2b).

2b) Pack the item gently, surrounded by fresh dry shavings (inside and out if appropriate), in an airtight container or bag. Store in a safe place for 2 to 4 months.

Some possible sources for the shavings

https://www.amazon.com/Pestell-Pet-Prod ... 120&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/Pestell-Pet-Prod ... 20&sr=8-20

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Premier-Pet-Do ... s/50006484

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... 1000-cu-in

If you keep searching, you will find more.