what's this ? Disco Campione Turandot

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
soundgen
Victor VI

what's this ? Disco Campione Turandot

Post by soundgen »

what's this ? Disco Campione Turandot 12 x 12" white labels Non Vendibile 78's R ? 70165 matrix on one record
Attachments
Nancy 4 1366.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: what's this ? Disco Campione Turandot

Post by Inigo »

A photo (somewhat tricky to do, reflecting a strong light on it) of the area where the matrix number is written would help, also if there's any other symbol or lettering at any place in the rumour area or under the label.
The upper part of the label seems to be a white plain half label stuck over the original, and done lettering below is guessed... Could be?
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Screenshot_2020-11-16-21-15-42-873_com.android.chrome.jpg
There are others in eBay Italy!
Disco campione is not any particular brand, it means sample record :D
Inigo

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

thanks for that , if anyone wants them they are free to collect from Bedford in the UK :D

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

If these are from the Cetra set of Turandot, they're pretty good recordings, as I've read, both for the recording technique and for the first line artistry.
Besides that, this aria is one of the less recorded, being not very popular...
Inigo

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

These are test pressings - "sample record" "not for sale" as the label says. Sometimes a third stamp "to the attention of the Director" is also present.

For some reason these seem to be not as scarce as one might guess. I have a half dozen in my collection, randomly found in the wild.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Inigo wrote:If these are from the Cetra set of Turandot, they're pretty good recordings, as I've read, both for the recording technique and for the first line artistry.
Besides that, this aria is one of the less recorded, being not very popular...

thee would seem to be this Cetra set I googled Turandot 70615 and got a link to a Puccini discography on Google Books
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=EUT ... ot&f=false

Although there seem to be 29 sides and there are only 12 records of 24 sides in this lot

As I said it's free to anyone who wants it otherwise I'm afraid it is land fill :(
Attachments
aturandot.JPG

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

it's strange looking at the recording dates of the Cetra set that although all recorded in the same month not in sequence is that normal?

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

What a pity not living there... If this set is Italian pressing, it's worth the effort! The most common pressings to be found (of this rare set) are loose copies, mostly the British Odeon-Parlophon, matter with cracking shellac. The Italian pressings are much better. This, as said by Ward Marston, who did the transfers of this set for Naxos. He said that is rare to find a complete set.
Inigo

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Inigo wrote:What a pity not living there... If this set is Italian pressing, it's worth the effort! The most common pressings to be found (of this rare set) are loose copies, mostly the British Odeon-Parlophon, matter with cracking shellac. The Italian pressings are much better. This, as said by Ward Marston, who did the transfers of this set for Naxos. He said that is rare to find a complete set.

I've just checked out Economy shipping to Spain and could send them for £26 :D