My latest cylinder haul

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

My latest cylinder haul

Post by AmberolaAndy »

A few weeks ago I got a lead from a Facebook friend about somebody that had 58 cylinders for sale. I got the number and exchanged some texts and the seller made a deal with me, I was able to preview the records for over a week before I pay. I would pay for the ones I wanted and give back the ones I didn’t want. So over a week I listened to them all, and kept all the Vaudeville skits, comic songs, marching bands, novelty songs, better condition duplicates of what I already had. And omitted any sentimental ballads, broken records, records that somebody accidentally erased with a shaver, duplicates that’s were in worse shape than what I had, xylophone solos, dull instrumentals, etc. 31 records met my standards, 1 blue amberol, 1 Columbia indestructible, and 29 black wax two minute records.

Here are some photos of the ones I found interesting.
Attachments
No collection of cylinders is complete without this one.
No collection of cylinders is complete without this one.
Ok this was just strange...
Ok this was just strange...
An early Airplane song!
An early Airplane song!
I heard FellowCollector on YouTube say this was a scarce record?
I heard FellowCollector on YouTube say this was a scarce record?
It’s the Gilligan song!
It’s the Gilligan song!
The final haul
The final haul

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: My latest cylinder haul

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

"Harrigan" is fun & so, especially, is Collins' "Preacher & the Bear" from 1905. What a nice evocative selection.

See if you have any by the guy who sang "I'm a member of the Midnight Crew." His name slips my mind right now -- it's not Meeker, it's Morton--but you'll like his music if you have it.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I was able to preview the records for over a week before I pay. I would pay for the ones I wanted and give back the ones I didn’t want.
Now THAT is a very accommodating and unusual seller. I can't think of anyone in all my years of buying who would let me take home a group of records (cylinder or disc) and pay for only the ones I wanted. I'm almost always told "No cherry picking. Take 'em all or leave 'em all."

Doug

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

FellowCollector wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:I was able to preview the records for over a week before I pay. I would pay for the ones I wanted and give back the ones I didn’t want.
Now THAT is a very accommodating and unusual seller. I can't think of anyone in all my years of buying who would let me take home a group of records (cylinder or disc) and pay for only the ones I wanted. I'm almost always told "No cherry picking. Take 'em all or leave 'em all."

Doug
How scarce exactly is that Schultz Goes Hunting With Cleveland record exactly? My repairman Facebook friend convinced him that he could trust me.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Here are some sale prices for that cylinder from Worthpoint.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
169E5B7F-EF81-4234-8B70-1B81928D9FC2.jpeg

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

AmberolaAndy wrote:How scarce exactly is that Schultz Goes Hunting With Cleveland record exactly?
The picture that Rich provided pretty much tells the story. Any of the "Schultz..." titles on cylinder by Frank Kennedy are pretty hard to find BUT condition is key as with any early record. The one that sold for $104 in July of this year was in near mint condition. I know because I'm the one who bought it. The others in the pictures I have no clue about their actual condition but I'm guessing they were in average or lesser condition. The fact that this particular title has Grover Cleveland (U.S. 22nd and 24th president) adds interest to this one. But, as always, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm sure that I overpaid for mine at $104 but I had been looking for a near mint copy for a long time. Most of the time wax comic cylinders like this one are pretty well shot from play, mold, insect damage or other defects.

Doug

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

FellowCollector wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:How scarce exactly is that Schultz Goes Hunting With Cleveland record exactly?
The picture that Rich provided pretty much tells the story. Any of the "Schultz..." titles on cylinder by Frank Kennedy are pretty hard to find BUT condition is key as with any early record. The one that sold for $104 in July of this year was in near mint condition. I know because I'm the one who bought it. The others in the pictures I have no clue about their actual condition but I'm guessing they were in average or lesser condition. The fact that this particular title has Grover Cleveland (U.S. 22nd and 24th president) adds interest to this one. But, as always, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm sure that I overpaid for mine at $104 but I had been looking for a near mint copy for a long time. Most of the time wax comic cylinders like this one are pretty well shot from play, mold, insect damage or other defects.

Doug
Dang. So the $4 I paid for my copy was a good deal. :shock: I also made a video of this title playing on my Columbia Q on my YouTube channel.
Attachments
0BB8456E-33CA-4109-B2E5-D9A896B7F1B9.jpeg