On this day......

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

On this day......

Post by epigramophone »

On 26 November 1956 the trombonist Tommy Dorsey died, and on 26 November 1963 the soprano Amelita Galli-Curci died.
Galli-Curci's death passed almost unnoticed, as the world was still mourning the loss of John F Kennedy who had died four days previously.
Attachments
TD.jpg
G-C.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: On this day......

Post by emgcr »

Great photos Roger. Very many thanks.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Amelita looks to be 50 years ahead of her time... a hippie prototype.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

TD--an inspiration to trombonists everywhere, with his supreme lyrical style and purity of tone production! (I have the complete NY Daily News edition announcing his death; it makes very interesting reading.)

And dear Amelita---no finer musician ever sang. I have numerous 78s attesting to her artistic superiority.

Thanks for these reminders, and I wish you and all of our friends in the Mother Country a Happy Thanksgiving !

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:On 26 November 1956 the trombonist Tommy Dorsey died, and on 26 November 1963 the soprano Amelita Galli-Curci died.
Galli-Curci's death passed almost unnoticed, as the world was still mourning the loss of John F Kennedy who had died four days previously.

Does anyone want her records now ? i must have dozens to get away

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Curt A wrote:Amelita looks to be 50 years ahead of her time... a hippie prototype.
Heh.

She's in costume as Lakme in the opera Lakme by Delibes. That very picture is in one of my Victor Book Of The Opera.

Looks like a Mishkin portrait, but I don't suppose it is if it was taken in Chicago. Or she just signed it for someone while on tour.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

soundgen wrote:
epigramophone wrote:On 26 November 1956 the trombonist Tommy Dorsey died, and on 26 November 1963 the soprano Amelita Galli-Curci died.

Does anyone want her records now ? i must have dozens to get away

I do not like opera music at all. That being said, when I run into an Amelita Galli-Curci record I always buy it to listen. She has the voice to mesmerize. Even my kids would stop what they were doing (as babies) and listen to her voice belting out of my Victrola.