How a record is made 1918-1924 - British Path`e

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

How a record is made 1918-1924 - British Path`e

Post by Edisonfan »

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

Found this on YouTube. Thought it was neat to see phonograph records being made, from 102 years ago. It’s a silent movie.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: How a record is made 1918-1924 - British Path`e

Post by CharliePhono »

In the clip showing the artist performing before the horn, I couldn't help notice the engineer seeming to support the horn with his hand and continually touching it. Would that not dampen the vibrations of the horn? As well, it appeared to my untrained eye that what was being recorded was a cylinder and not a disc, or perhaps I'm not understanding the machine used in the depiction.

Was also interesting to see the picture of President Wilson on the wall behind the worker graphiting the disc. Definitely dates the film. I don't think I'd have wanted to be the worker dealing with that mass of doughy record material! This was quite a labor-intensive process!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

CharliePhono wrote:In the clip showing the artist performing before the horn, I couldn't help notice the engineer seeming to support the horn with his hand and continually touching it. Would that not dampen the vibrations of the horn? As well, it appeared to my untrained eye that what was being recorded was a cylinder and not a disc, or perhaps I'm not understanding the machine used in the depiction.
A cylinder was being recorded. In those days Pathé recorded onto oversized cylinder masters that were pantographically dubbed to cylinder and disc format for sale. The performer is Claudia Muzio. Not sure what the guy is doing with the horn there.

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Very cool - thank you for posting! :coffee:

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

You’re welcome!

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

Repeat
Last edited by Governor Flyball on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

The artist is no less than Claudia Muzio! She recorded for Pathé in the late teens prior to Edison.

I see I was beaten to it!

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

14" long 5" diameter cylinder was used to record Pathé' discs. In fact the recording equipment still exists. It was weight driven, had a large wooden tower for the weight driven motor. The recording head is complete it had an advance ball, trailing recorder, appears to be aluminum. The recording stylus holder is cemented to the center of the diaphragm. The set also has a disc lathe, and fish shaped pantograph arm to copy from the cylinder to disc. Photos of the set are in my Historical Acoustic recording group on Facebook. I don't share photos from the group as it is the only early recording technician group on the Internet.