Too bad more young people are not interested

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Too bad more young people are not interested

Post by poodling around »

soundgen wrote:
poodling around wrote:I must admit that I would love to up-load videos of my 78's playing to youtube but I am concerned about copyright issues and getting into trouble.

Of course such laws are presumably different over here in England but this issue bothers me. :(

Go for it , 78 recordings made before 1950 are not in performance copyright any more , Although the author of the music or lyricist will have rights up to 70 years after their death , I doubt whether anyone would try and collect royalties on a few youtube uploads , for Instance George Gershwin died in 1938 so any 78 of his music made before 1950 is totally out of copyright in the UK BUT Lyrics by his brother Ira still are he died in 1983

The ownership of the sound recording copyright rests with the 'author' of the recording. ... In the UK this copyright has a term of 70-years from release of the work. This is potentially a considerably shorter term than the copyright in the song of 70 years after the death of the last surviving author.
Thanks soundgen - but knowing my luck every author will come after me, the government will re-introduce the concept of debtors prison and I will end up whistling the 'All Alone Waltz' in a damp, unlit tower, while picking weevils out of my dry oatmeal.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

DELETED
Last edited by Curt A on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

poodling around wrote:
soundgen wrote:
poodling around wrote:I must admit that I would love to up-load videos of my 78's playing to youtube but I am concerned about copyright issues and getting into trouble.

Of course such laws are presumably different over here in England but this issue bothers me. :(

Go for it , 78 recordings made before 1950 are not in performance copyright any more , Although the author of the music or lyricist will have rights up to 70 years after their death , I doubt whether anyone would try and collect royalties on a few youtube uploads , for Instance George Gershwin died in 1938 so any 78 of his music made before 1950 is totally out of copyright in the UK BUT Lyrics by his brother Ira still are he died in 1983

The ownership of the sound recording copyright rests with the 'author' of the recording. ... In the UK this copyright has a term of 70-years from release of the work. This is potentially a considerably shorter term than the copyright in the song of 70 years after the death of the last surviving author.
Thanks soundgen - but knowing my luck every author will come after me, the government will re-introduce the concept of debtors prison and I will end up whistling the 'All Alone Waltz' in a damp, unlit tower, while picking weevils out of my dry oatmeal.

I have a number of videos on my channel that have been flagged for copyright! The only thing is, I can’t monetize those videos, and ad’s will not appear on them. Also, they are blocked in some countries. Thanks in part to SONY! Some are also third parties as well. I used to be able too dispute them, but eventually gave up. So I just deal with it. Most stuff that is getting hit with a copyright violation would be videos from within the last 20 years or more, or even as this year. So, I wouldn’t worry! As long as you don’t violate any of YouTubes rules, you will be okay!

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Curt A wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Good grief... :roll:
OK, do what you want... George says "screw copyright laws"... I certainly don't care, it's not my problem...

it isn't a problem all cylinder and virtually all 78 recordings are out of performance copyright and I would guess all cylinder composers and lyricists popped their clogs long ago and the same would apply to all 78s composed before 1920 or even before 1930 , here's a Wikipedia list of long lived composers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... c_patrons)

So don't post their songs :D Any Vivaldi or Puccini 78s are totally OK :D

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’m amazed how far I’ve gone on MY YouTube channel and still haven’t been flagged by the copyright cops! :shock:

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Have you uploaded any records by Bessie Smith, Gid Tanner, Ethel Waters, Jimmy Rogers?

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Along with old records, I also own a 1931 Model A Ford. Similar subject comes up in the antique car groups regarding how to interest young people in these old cars. By the way, my first car was a 1933 Chev. at the age of 18 (1967).

In the antique car world, some owners give rides to people, attend parades, and answer all questions about their car even if it's been asked many times. I am this type of person, and have welcomed questions and discussion about my old car. For that manner I have had many people stop and take pictures of my car. My only thing I will not do is have a stranger be in my car for a picture. In some ways, you could compare this approach to putting music on YouTube or creating podcasts for people to enjoy your old music.

The other approach is to put "do not touch" signs on your car and not answer questions from strangers. Sadly many in the antique car hobby are this type and are the very same people that complain that young people are not interested in the hobby. Keeping the music away from YouTube is similar to not bringing your antique car out for the public to see and realize how interesting and fun this music is.

If you want to interest young people in antique phonographs and music then you have to expose them to it.

Marc

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

soundgen wrote:
Curt A wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Good grief... :roll:
OK, do what you want... George says "screw copyright laws"... I certainly don't care, it's not my problem...

it isn't a problem all cylinder and virtually all 78 recordings are out of performance copyright and I would guess all cylinder composers and lyricists popped their clogs long ago and the same would apply to all 78s composed before 1920 or even before 1930 , here's a Wikipedia list of long lived composers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... c_patrons)

So don't post their songs :D Any Vivaldi or Puccini 78s are totally OK :D
These rules are different in the USA, where there are essentially no public domain recordings until 2022. Copyrights for compositions published before 1925 are now expired (they currently have a 95 year term), but any sound recording ever made is still protected by a network of state and local laws that had no expiration dates.

On 1/1/2022, the Music Modernization Act kicks in and effectively makes all pre-1923 sound recordings public domain in the USA.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

soundgen wrote:

Yes, and no.

The 1950 date is incorrect. In the EU, sound recordings made prior to 1963 are public domain because the rule, through 2013, was a 50 year term. This has since been extended to 70 years, but not retroactively, which means no further sound recordings will become PD until 2033 in the EU.

As for the Gershwins, George's solo works are now all public domain in the EU under the life plus 70 rule. However, I'm quite sure the works he wrote with Ira, both music and lyrics, will stay in copyright until 2053 because of the "last surviving author" rule. They are joint authors for copyright purposes even if it's clear who wrote what.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Man! This went from young people not interested in our hobby too copyright laws, real quick! :o