Too bad more young people are not interested

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Too bad more young people are not interested

Post by JerryVan »

As for "young people" being interested... or not. When I was once young, maybe 7 years old, I became a fan of old music by playing my grandmother's Victrola during visits to her house. I still have that machine... and a whole bunch more. Who could have known? Anyway, the point is, I believe far more people, (young and not so young), would appreciate it if they could only hear it! But aside from it being used in video games, how would they ever hear it???

The other aspect of all this, for me, is the thought that these machines were invented and made approximatly 100 years ago, to entertain. Arguably, that was their purpose. What I truly appreciate is the fact that today, they still are doing exactly what they were designed to do, so very long ago! I don't listen to these machines for their novelty, or to demonstrate old technology, or to go back in time, (although I DO find myself doing that), I do it for entertainment. I am using these machines for their original, intended purpose. I absolutely love an enduring design or idea that still has relevance and utility over 100 years after its inception. They are still "on the job"! Also, why I love driving Model T Fords! There, now you know how I feel about it... :coffee: ;)

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank you!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Curt A wrote:
If I had videos of cylinders playing anything other than period music on them, posted on YouTube, I would immediately remove those videos and shut down that channel, unless I believed that copyright laws somehow don't apply to me
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
YouTube remove some videos that get copyright claims, while others are allowed to stay posted, while others are disabled in certain countries where copyright laws may differ, so I leave it up to YouTubes copyright experts to decide what stays and what goes.
I'm certainly not going to delete videos and shut down my channel over recordings that YouTube and the copyright owners have no problem with.

dyxshop
Victor O

Post by dyxshop »

Marc Hildebrant wrote:My father had a very large collection of old phonographs. Tin-foil model, early electric jukebox (me in my avatar picture), concert machines, Behringer Trademark, and many more along with over 1000 records.

When I first heard the old music at the age of 15 I thought the sound was just magic! Note sure why I liked the old music and machines but they are fun even today 56 years later.

My fathers large collection is long gone but the memories live on.

Marc
Hello, which machine is displayed in your avatar picture, I need detailed information, thank you

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

dyxshop,

That machine was a early electric Edison 2 minute coin operated machine. I'm looking at the bottom of the baseplate and the electric motor is in view.

My father sold the machine to buy others. I'm about 15 in the picture.

Marc

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

DELETED
Last edited by Curt A on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote:
gramophoneshane wrote:
Curt A wrote:
If I had videos of cylinders playing anything other than period music on them, posted on YouTube, I would immediately remove those videos and shut down that channel, unless I believed that copyright laws somehow don't apply to me
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
YouTube remove some videos that get copyright claims, while others are allowed to stay posted, while others are disabled in certain countries where copyright laws may differ, so I leave it up to YouTubes copyright experts to decide what stays and what goes.
I'm certainly not going to delete videos and shut down my channel over recordings that YouTube and the copyright owners have no problem with.
Don't shoot the messenger...
"I'm certainly not going to delete videos and shut down my channel over recordings that YouTube and the copyright owners have no problem with".
I'll have to say that I am baffled by your response... How do you know the copyright owners "have no problem" with your videos? Did you ask them and get a license? If not, then maybe you should. Like I said in my previous reply, apparently you don't believe that copyright laws apply to you... Is that your belief about other laws, as well?
Good grief... :roll:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

What have I done? Open a can of worms?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

I must admit that I would love to up-load videos of my 78's playing to youtube but I am concerned about copyright issues and getting into trouble.

Of course such laws are presumably different over here in England but this issue bothers me. :(

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

poodling around wrote:I must admit that I would love to up-load videos of my 78's playing to youtube but I am concerned about copyright issues and getting into trouble.

Of course such laws are presumably different over here in England but this issue bothers me. :(

Go for it , 78 recordings made before 1950 are not in performance copyright any more , Although the author of the music or lyricist will have rights up to 70 years after their death , I doubt whether anyone would try and collect royalties on a few youtube uploads , for Instance George Gershwin died in 1938 so any 78 of his music made before 1950 is totally out of copyright in the UK BUT Lyrics by his brother Ira still are he died in 1983

The ownership of the sound recording copyright rests with the 'author' of the recording. ... In the UK this copyright has a term of 70-years from release of the work. This is potentially a considerably shorter term than the copyright in the song of 70 years after the death of the last surviving author.