Too bad more young people are not interested

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Too bad more young people are not interested

Post by poodling around »

Edisonfan wrote:Man! This went from young people not interested in our hobby too copyright laws, real quick! :o

Don't worry, as long as it doesn't move into 'restore or don't restore' and if so by how much I think we are okay :lol:

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

poodling around wrote:
Edisonfan wrote:Man! This went from young people not interested in our hobby too copyright laws, real quick! :o

Don't worry, as long as it doesn't move into 'restore or don't restore' and if so by how much I think we are okay :lol:

Save that for another topic! ;)

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Good grief... :roll:
OK, do what you want... George says "screw copyright laws"... I certainly don't care, it's not my problem...
I said "Good grief :roll: " You even quoted it. Don't be a maroon. If you "certainly don't care" then act like it. This is a theoretical discussion about music and how to attract younger people to this era of it- nothing else.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Curt A wrote:
gramophoneshane wrote:
Curt A wrote:
If I had videos of cylinders playing anything other than period music on them, posted on YouTube, I would immediately remove those videos and shut down that channel, unless I believed that copyright laws somehow don't apply to me
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
YouTube remove some videos that get copyright claims, while others are allowed to stay posted, while others are disabled in certain countries where copyright laws may differ, so I leave it up to YouTubes copyright experts to decide what stays and what goes.
I'm certainly not going to delete videos and shut down my channel over recordings that YouTube and the copyright owners have no problem with.
Don't shoot the messenger...
"I'm certainly not going to delete videos and shut down my channel over recordings that YouTube and the copyright owners have no problem with".
I'll have to say that I am baffled by your response... How do you know the copyright owners "have no problem" with your videos? Did you ask them and get a license? If not, then maybe you should. Like I said in my previous reply, apparently you don't believe that copyright laws apply to you... Is that your belief about other laws, as well?
I know because YouTube email me everytime there is a claim made by the copyright owner. And Ive had probably hundreds of them.
They let me know when the video is either removed (which rarely happens), if a claim is made but it can stay, or whether it's disabled in certain countries/territories.
So you are obviously talking about something you know little about, which is precisely why I leave it up to YouTube and their experts.
And if that makes me some sort of criminal in your eyes then so be it.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
YouTube remove some videos that get copyright claims, while others are allowed to stay posted, while others are disabled in certain countries where copyright laws may differ, so I leave it up to YouTubes copyright experts to decide what stays and what goes.
I'm certainly not going to delete videos and shut down my channel over recordings that YouTube and the copyright owners have no problem with.[/quote]
Don't shoot the messenger...
"I'm certainly not going to delete videos and shut down my channel over recordings that YouTube and the copyright owners have no problem with".
I'll have to say that I am baffled by your response... How do you know the copyright owners "have no problem" with your videos? Did you ask them and get a license? If not, then maybe you should. Like I said in my previous reply, apparently you don't believe that copyright laws apply to you... Is that your belief about other laws, as well?[/quote]

I know because YouTube email me everytime there is a claim made by the copyright owner. And Ive had probably hundreds of them.
They let me know when the video is either removed (which rarely happens), if a claim is made but it can stay, or whether it's disabled in certain countries/territories.
So you are obviously talking about something you know little about, which is precisely why I leave it up to YouTube and their experts.
And if that makes me some sort of criminal in your eyes then so be it.[/quote]

there are people and companies that claim copyright on anything that appears on youtube they are effectively scammers they don't actually own the copyright but claiming it allows any youtube monies to go to them every 78 uploaded to you youtube which gets a copyright claim should be challenged . i saw one guy who recorded and uploaded BIRD SONG in his back garden get a copyright claim :o

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

gramophone-georg wrote:
Curt A wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Good grief... :roll:
OK, do what you want... George says "screw copyright laws"... I certainly don't care, it's not my problem...
I said "Good grief :roll: " You even quoted it. Don't be a maroon. If you "certainly don't care" then act like it. This is a theoretical discussion about music and how to attract younger people to this era of it- nothing else.

don't be a maroon :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon

YOU Should all calm down :D

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

poodling around wrote:I must admit that I would love to up-load videos of my 78's playing to youtube but I am concerned about copyright issues and getting into trouble.

Of course such laws are presumably different over here in England but this issue bothers me. :(
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
You won't get arrested or sued if you post something on YouTube that gets a copyright claim filed.
You can have your channel taken down if something is removed and you repost the recording again knowing it's previously had a claim filed and it's be removed already.

I don't recall ever having a cylinder recording removed, but I have had a couple Diamond Disc recordings removed.
In those cases, it wasn't the actual recording that was effected by copyright, but it was because the composer/lyrics were still under copyright.
I've also had some pretty obscure foreign language records removed or flagged for the same reason.

Copyright laws vary in just about every country in the world, and YouTube don't expect every person that uploads music to know the different international copyright laws.

So my advise would be to post what you like and let the experts sort out any copyright claims that may or may not exist.
You have a greater chance of getting in trouble when you do a digital transfer of music and post a link to a downloadable sound file here because that is seen as a pirate copy of a recording that the copyright owner can't make money from.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Could be the reason young people aren't interested. ;)
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

soundgen wrote:
there are people and companies that claim copyright on anything that appears on youtube they are effectively scammers they don't actually own the copyright but claiming it allows any youtube monies to go to them every 78 uploaded to you youtube which gets a copyright claim should be challenged . i saw one guy who recorded and uploaded BIRD SONG in his back garden get a copyright claim :o
Yes, this definitely happens.
A couple years after I stopped posting videos to YouTube I suddenly got dozens of claims filed against videos by 3 or 4 American companies I'd never heard of before.
One of the worst offenders was a company called Orchard if I remember correctly.
They claimed to own the copyright to quite a few foreign and early recordings, but I think only 1 or 2 of them were ever removed.
They seemed to be filing claims against anything that wasn't owned by the big record companies like Sony, BMG etc.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

fran604g wrote:
Could be the reason young people aren't interested. ;)
Bingo! Young people may like old music, but they don't like to see old guys spatting. I've seen proof of this on Model T Ford forums as well.