Too bad more young people are not interested

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Too bad more young people are not interested

Post by Edisonfan »

Most of the viewers who watch my videos are between 55-64. Older then me, 49, and male (no surprise). It’s a shame that younger people are not interested in music from the teens 20’s and 30’s. Most people think 78’s are just scratchy old records. Comes from playing with a steel needle. They would rather listen to music from when they grew up or the music of today. If you want too call it music. I shouldn’t complain too much, I still listen to a lot of 80’s music, but collect 78’s. :mrgreen:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Too bad more young people are not interested

Post by JerryVan »

It amazes me how certain youtube videos of 20's & 30's music are visited by "young people". Apparently, there are several video games that use 20's & 30's music as a "backdrop". An example is "Anything Goes", by Cole Porter. Tons of comments there from teens & 20's "kids", all positive! I'd provide a link, but my work computer won't allow it :(

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Well, that’s good!

Don’t worry about the link!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The Antique Phonograph Society is taking deliberate steps to bring the hobby to the attention of younger people. An Outreach Committee (which even includes a 20 year-old!) has been meeting weekly via Zoom since October 12 and has developed an APS Instagram page. Regular posters are being recruited, and a Facebook advertising campaign has been developed (temporarily put on hold until the latest website upgrades are in place).

Anyone truly concerned with the future of our hobby can do the hobby (and themselves!) a favor by joining the Antique Phonograph Society:

https://www.antiquephono.org/

We're anticipating good things in 2021.

George P.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

That’s a good idea!

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

The Bioshock and fallout games were what introduced me to old music and are what eventually lead me to collecting phonographs. The first song that caught my attention was "The partys over now" by Noel Coward, which was featured in the first Bioshock game. Another one was "Its all over but the crying" by the ink spots, which was used in the trailer for Fallout 4, take a look;

https://youtu.be/XW7Of3g2JME

Every generation will say that the music of the next is "not real music" or that it is not good, often based on stereotypes or overgeneralizations. Add on top of that the fact that the popular genres of today were pioneered by and are dominated by black artists, something that wasn't as accepted during the time of the older generation. Hopefully people my age will break that cycle and be accepting of whatever genre or trend in music comes next, and also appreciate music of the past.

Martin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Honestly I had, when very small, figured that there were no old phonographs still around "in the wild" & had figured it would be nice to see one but that I would never be able to find one.

Many people my age think they're absolutely fascinating to look at and listen to, if they see them. But they don't realize that there are still so many around & in repairable condition.

Also, Martin, thank you for your comment on music history. That makes some great points & I thoroughly agree.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

DELETED
Last edited by Curt A on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

I just want to change the demographics on my channel!

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Curt A wrote:"So, the idea that older people might not "accept" black artists is, for the most part, a thing of the past. No person in his/her right mind would judge anyone by the color of their skin. The push back comes from the comparison to real talent and character...
I see what you're saying and you make good points. I think the difference is that Rap and Hip-hop have historically been about the struggles of living in the US being black, while the race of the popular performers of color of the past was hardly mentioned. Note that is is only one of the many reasons as to why certain genres are not quite accepted as music among older people.

Also the way you "define" music is extremely subjective. For one, harmony, melody, acoustical instruments and vocals are in fact present in hip hop. Lyrics are absolutely an expression of emotion and they can be beautiful ("beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as they say). In a sense a computer IS an instrument and is just as hard and in some cases harder to create good music with than with a traditional instrument. I find it funny when people claim it "requires no skill", I would love to see someone unexperienced with digitally producing music try and create anything good in the span of a month.

And again with the generalizing. Eminem does not use auto tune, never made "711" tracks, and often uses "real" instruments in his music alongside masterfully produced partially synthesized instrumentals. Rap and hip hop often includes and samples music of other genres like jazz, R&b, soul, reggae etc. Repetitive lyrics, sexist lyrics and lip syncing is present in a plethora of genres.

A few artists/groups that I personally enjoy; A Tribe Called Quest, biggie, Nujabes, Dreamville, J.Cole, Polo G, Cordae, Joyner Lucas, Logic, and the list can go on. There are genres of music I don't like, but I will never deny that it is music, that it can be meaningful or that people can be passionate about it.

Martin
Last edited by Mormon S on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.