Edison Needle-Type Catalog Number Oddity

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
coyote
Victor II

Edison Needle-Type Catalog Number Oddity

Post by coyote »

I noted this oddity with the Edison Needle-Type (lateral) catalog numbers. The DAHR lists this issue as 11049, as the first set of pictures indicates. However, the same matrix numbers (N898 and N899) were apparently ALSO listed under catalog number 14007, as shown in the second set of pictures. Shouldn't catalog number 14007 be matrix N901/N907? The label has also changed "singing" to "vocal chorus," and the "R" and "L" designations have been swapped. What happened here?

Also, why the sudden jump in Needle-Type catalog block numbers from 11xxx to 14xxx after 11053? Thanks for any answers or hypotheses.
IMG_5769.JPG
IMG_5776.JPG
Wabash14007.jpg
farewell14007.jpg

GlensterTX
Victor O

Re: Edison Needle-Type Catalog Number Oddity

Post by GlensterTX »

(Later edit: I can’t find any “official” listing of the Campus Cut-Ups version of 14007. Obviously, it exists; indeed, it shows up with some regularity on auction lists. I’m not sure how a recording at Edison was put into production - perhaps someone misread the master number and ordered the labels printed with the wrong name and info?)

Perhaps the staff got sloppy as production wound down? Here’s the “other” 14007, from https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Harriso ... e/12947618 :
CCD2C463-0F78-4DF1-B396-E8CEDA60425C.jpeg
CCD2C463-0F78-4DF1-B396-E8CEDA60425C.jpeg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
80B55D85-7674-4E11-B5C9-7D62BA6370B5.jpeg
80B55D85-7674-4E11-B5C9-7D62BA6370B5.jpeg (82.11 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Thanks for checking. I couldn't find any "official" listing for this disc under 14007, either, just the listing for the "correct" 14007 which you kindly provided pictures of. Interesting that not only the label, but the engraved stamp for the catalog numbers match on all discs. I wonder how many people would have to make a mistake for this to be a possibility. One? Two?

I wonder if this happened to any other laterals. It's interesting to note that the "official" catalog number falls very close to the change in numbering block (the last 11000 catalog number was 11053). Suspicious, but could be just a coincidence.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I ran across 15 of these needle type records in an antique shop about 30 years ago and when they were going bonkers for price I sold them all, but one of them had the labels glued on the wrong sides. I wonder how much of a hurry they were in during the last few months they were making records? They must have known the whole thing was circling the drain by then.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

EarlH wrote:I ran across 15 of these needle type records in an antique shop about 30 years ago and when they were going bonkers for price I sold them all, but one of them had the labels glued on the wrong sides. I wonder how much of a hurry they were in during the last few months they were making records? They must have known the whole thing was circling the drain by then.
I came across some 5 years ago and they were either a dollar or 50 cents a piece. I already knew about diamond discs but not these. I didn’t think it was the same company. I’ve learned a lot in the last 5 years and I’m now kicking myself for not buying them. I’ve never found any in the wild since. :oops: :| :monkey:
That’s probably my biggest “one that got away” story.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

One Diamond Disc take and two of the lateral takes on YouTube. Apologies for the DD and one of the laterals being severely worn.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I remember an antique dealer had a group of these Needle Cut Edisons Some guy tried to tell him that they weren't worth anything. But the dealer knew better. edisonplayer

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

That's a great record! Wish I had it in my collection either as a DD or needle-cut. The 11049 is the correct number. The 14xxx number belongs to the other record shown. Have no idea how it happened because this is not just a wrong label on the wrong record mistake, but the wrong number actually printed on the label. Must be some kind of typo at the printer, or given to the printer.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Indeed, a fun record. I thought of the label printer typo, but would this explain 14007 also stamped into the record itself? While the matrix would be inscribed on the master, was the catalog number hand-set? In other words, when stamping, did the employee just dial the stamp to match the label?