Direct to Disc

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Direct to Disc

Post by drh »

At least one veteran of the 78 era also made direct-to-disk LPs: Boyd Neel on an audiophile label called Umbrella. I have two such releases, in both of which he conducts the Toronto Chamber Orchestra. One contains Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" and Divertimento no. 11. The other contains music of Bach, the BWV 1042 E Major violin concerto (Steven Staryk is the soloist) and a few other odds and ends. A couple of the latter are chamber pieces in arrangements for small orchestra.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Direct to Disc

Post by CarlosV »

drh wrote:At least one veteran of the 78 era also made direct-to-disk LPs: Boyd Neel on an audiophile label called Umbrella. I have two such releases, in both of which he conducts the Toronto Chamber Orchestra. One contains Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" and Divertimento no. 11. The other contains music of Bach, the BWV 1042 E Major violin concerto (Steven Staryk is the soloist) and a few other odds and ends. A couple of the latter are chamber pieces in arrangements for small orchestra.
Harry James and Buddy Rich started their recording careers in the 30s, and as I posted above, made direct-to-disc recordings.