Folks should really watch a little less reality TV

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Folks should really watch a little less reality TV

Post by Lucius1958 »

I remember a comic Crumb drew, about his early record collecting days, and an encounter with an old black woman who refused to sell to him...

- Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Not all records are rare because they were unpopular when new. Some which sell for high prices today were best sellers which were either played to death or discarded when they became unfashionable. Two examples which come to mind are "Charleston", especially by the Savoy Orpheans with spoken announcement, and "White cliffs of Dover" by Vera Lynn.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

My late friend Arthur Pare told me that a lot of the really rare records are boring to listen to. Take Charley Patton,for example. Some rave about him.Frankly,his wasn't the most pleasant voice to listen to. But, the common records such as Henry Burr,Paul Whiteman,ect.are much more enjoyable. edisonplayer.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

I've come across records which the seller had a friend who told him that the records are probably valuable because it's a recognizable title and it's an old disk. And I've looked at the record and the condition is terrible verging on unplayable, and the seller holds onto the misguided info they were originally told because the realistic info I give them (without intention to buy) is the actual value - not much.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

There does seem to be “The rarer the record the better the music” impression to some collectors. Maybe the hard work you did obtaining a record just sounds better?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

epigramophone wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:58 am Not all records are rare because they were unpopular when new. Some which sell for high prices today were best sellers which were either played to death or discarded when they became unfashionable. Two examples which come to mind are "Charleston", especially by the Savoy Orpheans with spoken announcement, and "White cliffs of Dover" by Vera Lynn.
Do you think that’s really true? I have never seen an original copy of the Charleston in years of collecting. Apart from seeing the 1950s Winifred Atwell version many times. I thought it might be because either it simply wasn’t as popular as history makes out or it wasn’t that popular or much known outside of America in its day.

I know that good original Art Deco cocktail glasses are hard to come by because most ended up smashed on the bar room floor like their owners. Perhaps the Charleston was the same.

I’ve seen a few copies of the White Cliffs of Dover!

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 pm
I’ve seen a few copies of the White Cliffs of Dover!
Me too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERA-LYNN-Ther ... SwL8hgA62R

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 pm Do you think that’s really true? I have never seen an original copy of the Charleston in years of collecting. Apart from seeing the 1950s Winifred Atwell version many times. I thought it might be because either it simply wasn’t as popular as history makes out or it wasn’t that popular or much known outside of America in its day.
You are correct, Jamie, there was a Charleston dance craze, which the song composed by James P Johnson started, but what happened is that the recordings of that particular song called Charleston were competing with several dozens of other Charleston dance records. In 1925 there were at least 12 recordings of the song Charleston plus dozens of others with Charleston on the titles, like Charleston Baby and whatever combination of catchy words. Apart from Paul Whiteman, who was already a celebrity, the other dance bands were more or less anonymous, so to buyers it mattered little if the record was by Ben Selvin or California Ramblers. Specific dance band records were never best sellers until the swing era, when people would buy the recording of a given tune by a given band, like In the Mood by Glenn Miller. And the mention you made to the 50s recording is also evidence of the ressurrection of the Charleston as a symbol of the roaring 20s that came up in the 40s and 50s, mainly via Hollywood, and introduced it to modern years, otherwise the Charleston would be as dead as the Kangaroo Hop and the Trucking.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Curt A wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:42 pm worth more to a collector than say, a ratty VV-VI or a copy of Bing's "White Christmas"... :?
HEY! I'm keeping all 15 of my copies of Bing's White Christmas until I can sell them for a fortune and the retire. You record collectors are deflating my common collection of records by informing buyers :lol: Sheesh. What will you guys do next, tell people that my Partridge family and Barbara Streisand 33s aren't worth anything?