How do you prefer to store your records? Albums or Sleeves? Combo?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Re: How do you prefer to store your records? Albums or Sleeves? Combo?

Post by Dischoard »

Dang it... now you've given me something ELSE to look for ;)

Great idea, I love that, never knew there was a special storage for lazer discs.

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Re: How do you prefer to store your records? Albums or Sleeves? Combo?

Post by HMVDevotee »

Dischoard,

I've seen a few vintage record storage systems for sale at auctions, and one in person that had a disc ejector system that I liked, but the felting that covered the vertical members to prevent abrasion was just worn out. What's more, you need a place to put these large cabinets. HMV made a very simple design, staggered wooden levers that tipped the disc forward so it would roll out. I think the cabinet held 100 records, 50 10" and 50 12". Brilliant, simple design... a pivot point and gravity. So these laser disc storage racks are my solution because they are modular so I can fit them into existing furniture or stack them, or, in the case of the photo supplied, place them in the end of a cabinet that's built into the house. The only drawback is that the tolerances are close enough that if you try to use the plastic sleeves with a 12" record, the extra plastic at the opening end tends to hang-up on the top of the slot and sometimes the adjoining drawers. That's not a problem with the sleeved 10" records. Again, of the three makers whose units I have, only those labeled Pioneer will accommodate a 12" record. As time permits, I plan on adding more felt pads on the sides of those drawers for extra protection. It will take some disassembly, but that doesn't look difficult.

I've labeled each unit A through... and add that prefix letter to the number I've written on the plastic sleeve. Again, my goal is quick and easy access when playing records for friends and dinner guests, so when somebody says "I really like Duke Ellington's early stuff... his New Orleans style jazz," I do a quick sort on my Excel spreadsheet and produce a list of drawer numbers with their Unit prefix, collect the records in their sleeves and place them in the vintage record holder previously pictured. It will hold 50 records, so I can fill it up with requests and played records, to return them all to their respective drawers, by letter and number, when everyone has left. Again, my goal is to make record handling quick and as safe as possible under busy circumstances. Two-thirds of my little collection is in albums on a couple of shelves in another part of the house, away from my favorite machine. That is unavoidable, and just fine when we spend an evening listening to music without the hubbub of guests. I just need a gramophone room!

Robert
Attachments
IMG_4906.jpg