Ignorant About Pathé Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Ignorant About Pathé Records

Post by Wolfe »

MikeB wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:39 pm Okay, here are two examples:

One is marked "needle cut," and I assume an electrical recording as well, the "E". This one could be played on a Victor machine, for example, maybe an Orthophonic due to the electrical recording.

The other is marked "sapphire record," which I assume would need to be played with a sapphire ball stylus, right?

The first one should be played with a sapphire ball stylus.

The second is electrical, it's from 1928. Pathé went to electrical recording, IIRC, in 1927. Yes, you could play it on a Victor machine.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Correct. Note the rooster on the vertical/sapphire record, and the word “actuelle” on the lateral/needle record.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Finally pulled some Pathé records out.
Unfortunately my cheap phone takes terrible pictures, and the ones below are the best I could manage out of about 40 I took.
All of the labels below are lateral cut records, and although they're pretty poor quality they should indicate the general layout and colours used.

Unlike American pressing, these lateral records all feature the Pathé rooster, and none of them use the word "Actuelle" on the label.

These two don't say where they were pressed but I assume they are French, even though the labels are printed in Greek
Red label French? Pressing
Red label French? Pressing
Blue label French? Pressing
Blue label French? Pressing

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Late French Pressing
Late French Pressing
Pressed in China
Pressed in China
Pressed in India
Pressed in India

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

MikeB wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:36 pm Hi -

I have a number of Pathé records, but have never owned a machine. So here is my dumb question:

Do ALL Pathé disc records have to played only on a Pathé machine, or are there some that were laterally recorded and compatible with Victor machines and others?
You do not need a Pathé machine to play their vertically cut records. Pathé made a reproducer and adapter to fit a conventional gramophone, and they turn up on eBay from time to time. Ensure that the ball sapphire stylus is present and unworn, as replacements are expensive.
Attachments
adapter.jpg
adapter.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 788 times

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

A lot of off brand machines are capable of playing common lateral cut records, as well as vertical cuts like Pathé and Edison, provided you use the correct needle type.

Brands like Cheney and some early Sonoras were supplied with 2 seperate soundboxes that you could change to play each type, but the most common option was a single soundbox attached to a tonearm with segments you could swivel to bring the soundbox into the correct position.

There were literally dozens of different manufacturers and designs of this type arm, and many more off brands that used them.
Some work extremely well on Pathé verticals and others not so much.
The biggest issue now with some of these is pot metal problems, but if you find one than tracks without binding, or uses steel and brass instead, these can work extremely well.

My favorites of this type is a Fletcher's of Chicago.
There is also the Brunswick machines with Ultona arm and soundbox that can work well when restored.

The main thing to remember with any of these machines and tonearms is to always use the correct needle with the soundbox in the correct orientation to suit the record type.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

The correct needle in this case being NOT a needle.

Use a stylus, specifically one with a sapphire ball tip. Under close examination the tip will have what appears to be a clear (or sometimes, red) tiny sphere on the end.

If it’s pointed, let me...pointedly...say, that’s something else altogether. A sharp point is likely intended for use on Edison diamond discs, and will mess up your Pathé disc.
Last edited by PeterF on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

PeterF wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:37 am the tip will have what appears to be a clear (or sometimes, red)
And sometimes bluish too
But yes, ball shape for Pathé and conical from Edison
If I remember correctly Cheney supplied one of each and steel needles with their machines with 2 soundboxes