Current Source for 3.5 Mil Radius

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Current Source for 3.5 Mil Radius

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Group,

I have used a Stanton 500 cartridge with Expect Stylus (3.75 conical ) in the past.
Are there current sources for a different cartridge and 3.5 mil Conical stylus ? I seem to have many Diamond Disc Records to record.

Marc

Victor VI

Re: Current Source for 3.5 Mil Radius

Post by 52089 »

I'd suggest you post this to Yankee Trader as a Wanted ad.

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

There are a number of aftermarket styli in various sizes, but I am currently using Nagaoka cartridges on a couple of my turntables and Nagaoka offers a range of 78 styli in sizes from 1.0 to 4.0. I have the 3.0 (their standard 78 stylus) and the 3.5.

http://nagaoka.eu/index.php?action=page ... 11&lang=EN

Bill

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Marc, I sent you a PM. I've been working on custom sapphire stylus for the past year and may be able to help.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

This site recommends a 3-mil. stylus for Edison Diamond Disc records, but does have 3.5 available -- https://www.esotericsound.com/CartStyli.htm

OF

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The Naga site doesn't tell the prices... How much do these carts cost? And the 78 styli?
Inigo

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Orthofan,

The 3.0 Mil radius for Diamond Disc records from the Esoteric web site refers to a letter (the web site has a hot link that allows you to read the letter) from the Edison factory during the 1950's that gives the 3.0 mil value.

The Edison National Park site had sent out a drawing that shows the original shape was conical and 3.5 mils in size.
There doesn't seem to be lots of info regarding the original design and dimensions available from the Edison Factory that I have found. Maybe a member can point to a good source ?

Marc

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Ok, the cheapest Nagaoka MP-100 sells in Amazon for $120, and needles cost from $55 upwards. Out of my scope.
A Stanton 500 and a Shure SC35C costed me $35 each, and generic conical diamond 2.5mil 78rpm styli can be had for $25 each.
Inigo

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

And yet this YouTube vid does a comparison showing how nice a .7 mil Pickering does with the Diamond Disc as opposed to a 2.5 mil. Granted the 2.5 mil is on what looks like a Shure M78S which I am in the middle of replacing right now due to the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9POAWT1 ... io%26Vinyl

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I think that's a Pickering V-15. Basically same cartridge as Stanton 500. Same stylus can fit both.

As I posted in some other thread, I usually use an inexpensive conical "DJ" stylus as my default choice for DD's. I like the results I get. DJ styli can also track at ranges of 3-5 grams usually.

I have the Nagaoka MP-110 and one of the Naga 78 rpm styli. The stylus is OK. It doesn't really track much beyond about 3 grams, kind of like the Shure N78S. May have a hard time with a DD if your tonearm doesn't have adjustable height, because Nagaoka's ride kind of low.

I can't help but wonder how these V-Trace cartridges would do with a DD, even though they are designed for cylinders.
http://www.cps1.net/features-2/