Me and My Shadow Podcast

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Me and My Shadow Podcast

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Gang,

Latest podcast # 54 is Me and My Shadow by the Four Aristocrats. Nice recording from the Edison studios.

Check out my other ones too at : https://www.buzzsprout.com/1449838

Marc (Vic Trolla)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Me and My Shadow Podcast

Post by Inigo »

Thanks, Mark. A good rendition and nice recording!
I was a fan of The Revelers, whom I found in my search through any 78s which had vocal groups. I also found many other groups, but Revelers were my favorite. I'm my quest I also bought but one record by the Four Aristocrats, and this group intrigued me since I saw an advertisement in one of those HMV record sleeves from 1925, which suggested some new records from the recent lists that you could hear in The New Gramophone (Listen to the bass!).
This song I own in an instrumental version, a British recording in the cheap AG series by organist Charles Saxby. It's very similar, as the rhythm and speed are the same! Your version reminds me of my organ record!
It doesn't seem strange, for maybe Saxby copied the Aristocrats rendition on the organ, a phenomenon I've found in many records, cover versions of other famous renditions.
Inigo

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Re: Me and My Shadow Podcast

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Inigo,

Thanks for the comment. I transferred the song using a 3.75 mil radius conical shape stylus and Stanton 500 Cartridge and flat preamp. I did not need to remove many noise events as the record was in good shape.
The four singers have a very nice balance to their voices with each other and the guitar and piano intervals between the lyrics came off just right.

Marc (Vic)