Bad Blue Amberol restoration?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
rbuck
Victor Jr

Bad Blue Amberol restoration?

Post by rbuck »

I recently acquired a Ford cylinder (Ford Motor Band) on EBay. These are basically blue amberol private pressings Edison did for Ford’s private collection (1915 grouping). I was not able to get a good look at the cylinder on the listing. I was surprised to see a red plastic sleeve inserted on the inside. The sleeve is stuck in the plaster (which may or may not be original) such that if I try to remove it most of the plaster may also come off. This sleeve sticks on the mandrel so I can only play perhaps 20 seconds. I have two questions. The first: could there be a purpose for someone doing this other than perhaps the world’s worst restoration attempt? Also, is there any easy way to play the rest of the cylinder?
Attachments
IMG_0727.jpg
IMG_0726.jpg
IMG_0725 (002).jpg
IMG_0724.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Bad Blue Amberol restoration?

Post by Curt A »

The red liner definitely needs to go... Probably done to repair(?) missing plaster. If removing it causes the plaster to come out, you can repair it - see other threads dealing with this issue. If it remains round after removal, you can still play it without plaster - think Lambert celluloid cylinders (no plaster). I have played many with missing plaster and the only problem is if it is deformed without the plaster which causes a tracking problem...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Bad Blue Amberol restoration?

Post by epigramophone »

The small amount of "plaster" visible looks like decorator's filler to me.