Melba Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: Melba Records

Post by Viva-voce »

The Rigoletto Quartet was recorded in London in May 1910 and issued as single sided HMV 2-054025.
It was not until 1924 that HMV began issuing their Celebrity records in double sided format.
A notable exception was Patti, whose records remained single sided until they were deleted.
[/quote]

Ah ok—I’ve never seen the original single-faced issue, only the 1920’s double-sided pressings, so I thought perhaps it was not released until then.
Thanks!
Steven

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Very nice, Steven, and congratulations for the acquisition! These G&T Melbas and their covers are great examples of marketing and the start of the star system in the recording industry. They were so expensive at the time that probably the owners treated them with special care, allowing collectors like us to find them in good shape a century after their issue.
[/quote]

Thanks Carlos!
Yes they’re really pretty cool, aren’t they?
For better protection, I decided to store the discs in regular heavy cardboard sleeves, and keep the Melba sleeves (safely away from use) in separate clear covers like I do for vinyl Lp’s.
Melba’s singing in these 1904 Hamlet sides is amazing.

Steven

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Double sided, my Melba Rigoletto Quartet is HMV buff (as I remember, could be wrong) label DM118, backed with the Otello Ave Maria.
Inigo

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Inigo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:07 pm Double sided, my Melba Rigoletto Quartet is HMV buff (as I remember, could be wrong) label DM118, backed with the Otello Ave Maria.
Yup that’s the same one I had—it was a green label.
Thanks!