Lambert cylinder research

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AllenKoe
Victor II

Lambert cylinder research

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi,

For a forthcoming article on the history of Lambert cylinders (in AP), it would be great to have some additional information.
So far, the latest dated Supplemental flyer for the company's records seems to be Feb.-Mar 1904. Has anyone ever seen a catalog or monthly release panel after this date? The highest cyl # (for 2") was # 1053, but the company kept re-issuing new versions (replacements) of older #'s. Who or what is the mysterious 'Quinn Concert Orchestra'? Or "Mr Silver"?

We are also trying to identify any Lambert #'s from No. 100 or less. So far, the lowest # discovered is #3. These may be white or pink, or a combination of both.

Thanks! Oh, the highest # for the Concert 5" Lamberts is # 5128.

Allen

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Lambert cylinder research

Post by PeterF »

And, just because it’s nice to have a visual...
Attachments
E9AAE62E-629A-4803-B4CE-740C47649910.jpeg

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

In PeterF's magnificent collection I was particularly struck by No. 640, a solo for bass clarionet (sic: this spelling was common at the time). There cannot be many early bass-clarinet recordings, I should imagine. Has anyone heard of any other examples?

Oliver Mundy.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Well, I decided to let you hear it, and just made a quick video for that purpose.

https://youtu.be/I7qxfxHIkCs

Sadly, it’s displaying the video sideways. I’ll redo it using my better mic and after realigning the camera. The frequency response for the lower notes is pretty remarkable and I want to make sure it’s fully captured.

I keep a copy of Allen’s 1980s pinkie discography in the case with them, and look forward to the impending update!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

PeterF wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:10 pm Well, I decided to let you hear it, and just made a quick video for that purpose.

https://youtu.be/I7qxfxHIkCs

Sadly, it’s displaying the video sideways. I’ll redo it using my better mic and after realigning the camera. The frequency response for the lower notes is pretty remarkable and I want to make sure it’s fully captured.

I keep a copy of Allen’s 1980s pinkie discography in the case with them, and look forward to the impending update!
Smashing!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

The Lambert article is taking final shape as we speak. We have identified 26 Lamberts where the catalog number is below #101.
This is your last opportunity to double-check your inventory for making any additions to this early group of "2-piece" Lamberts; that is, the white rims were originally made separately from the body of the pink cylinder, and should have the 3 little wedges/sliders at the title end.

No one has ever found a Lambert flyer or catalog before 1903, so this is also your last chance to share that info (publicly or privately) so that other collectors can benefit. Many 2" Lamberts were re-pressed by the Company on their Exchange Plan. However, no one has found a 5" dia cylinder which underwent the same process. The article will also give the date for the introduction of the 5" type, as well as when the IPLS Language cyls were made (always black). Those cyls (IPLS) were originally accompanied by separately published books and manuals.

The development of the Lambert elephant will also be shown - from its crude original which looked a little like a mastodon to the finely engraved version of 'late' 1903.

And if you've never seen a real orange Lambert (rumors, rumors), the Sep 2021 issue will be the place. And you'll be glad to hear that Tom Lambert's unmarked grave (since 1928) is finally getting, well, "marked."

Thanks again for your assistance.

Allen

AllenKoe
Victor II

Re: Lambert cylinder research (pub)

Post by AllenKoe »

Well, we are glad to report that "The Many Colors of Thomas B. Lambert" has seen the light of day and has been mailed to AP subscribers (Sep issue, pp. 27-37). Got mine yesterday.

And it has already had good results. On p. 36, there is a reference to a small mystery regarding Lambert's Death Certificate (1928), which was filled out by Lambert's wife Mabel. She said that Thomas' mother's maiden name was "Sarah Baker." But as we know, his mother's maiden name was "Lambert." TBL was born originally Devillo Levi Bennett (1862).

Richard Raichelson, the author of a well-received (new) book -- the Bio-Discography of Orlando Marsh -- wrote in to say that he had been looking at the 1860 US Census for Edmund Lambert (who later became the Guardian of Devillo/Thomas in 1876) and noticed that there were two "extra" [wash]women in the household, Ann and Priscilla Boker/Baker. But who were they?

It turned out that Ann Baker was the mother of Priscilla AND (offstage) Rebecca Baker. And Rebecca Baker married Edmund Lambert! So when Mabel answered "Sarah Baker" as to her husband's mother's maiden name, she had mixed her up with Lambert's "foster" mother (since Edmund & Rebecca had raised him after his own parents' deaths). Mabel would never had known/met Sarah since she died in late 1875, but Rebecca Lambert lived until 1909, well after Mabel's marriage in 1892. Thomas Lambert's only child (Gertrude S. Lambert) was partly named for his mother. Her death date is still unknown.

It would be nice if all our mysteries were solved so promptly. Maybe we will find Wm F. Messer after all...

Allen

TAP
Victor Jr

Post by TAP »

I have a Lambert question. There were quite a few pink Lamberts sold in the last Stanton auction. They sold for ~$2-300 with one exception. Lot 262--record number 563--the Sleighride Party by the American Quartet sold for $600. Why was it so valuable or is it an aberration? The only physical difference I can see is that the inside is pink.

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Hello TAP,

The title "Sleighride party" is practically identical to "Jingle Bells" (whose lyrics appear in the arrangement) and hence is considered a Xmas song. That's my guess for the high bids, although I wasn't at the auction.

The first published (copyrighted) version of Jingle Bells goes back to 1857 but elements of the lyrics go back probably to the early 1840s.

The first recording of a Xmas song may be by Will Lyle on the Banjo in Sep/Oct 1889 (North American: Banjo Jingles and Jingle Bells), but it is not known to survive. 'The Sleighride Party' was a popular routine on both cylinder and disc. It was also done by the Edison Male Qt. in 1898 and re-made as a gold-moulded cylinder.

Commercial pressings of Lambert cylinders (white, pink, orange, brown, black) run from 1900-1906 and are the first American celluloid cylinders. From scanning their repertoire, this seems to be Lambert's only 'Xmas-themed' recording.

Allen