Finding Victor Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
smitharthur
Victor I
Personal Text: smitharthur

Finding Victor Records

Post by smitharthur »

I am in New England. Finding more and more that coming across these records is becoming harder and harder. Yes, I look at the thrift stores, etc. And plan on going to a town wide yard sale tomorrow. But where are people having success? I love the sound of Victor batwings in particular, and to my ears, they are the best sounding records suitable for play on my Victrola.

Thanks for welcoming me into this group!

Arthur

Victor VI

Re: Finding Victor Records

Post by 52089 »

Try Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, flea markets, antique sales and fairs, auctions, etc. You might even find some at yard sales.

Since you're in New England, you may want to try the Brimfield antiques show in Mass. The May show will be very limited, but the July and September shows should be back to normal.

Also, there are phonograph collector shows. The nearest one is in Wayne, NJ, usually twice a year in April and October. The last few have been canceled, but I would imagine the October one will be able to proceed.

smitharthur
Victor I

Post by smitharthur »

I have searched all the above. I may try Brimfield, but I really do hate crowds. Hitting a town wide yard sale tomorrow. A

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Acoustic batwings are in every lot of 78s by the dozens! You may also try Nauck's Vintage Records. He's also in the forum. He conducts an impressive mail auction every six months, but also has lists of unsold 78s from past auctions (we call them Naucktions, so well known are they among record collectors) and operates all year. Just visit his website www.78rpm.com and you'll find information. I'm in Spain, and have bought records from him by the hundreds, since 1997. Unsold batwings may sell at a mere $3 apiece, unless they are very special or rare, in which case a higher set price may have been fixed. Go and see the auction catalogues on line, and check the Unsold lists under the Acoustics sections.
There's also Recordfinders, in Virginia, I believe.... Google it. And may be others... Many! Nauck's records always are graded very conservatively, and you'll find them much better than expected.
Inigo

smitharthur
Victor I

Post by smitharthur »

Lately, I am finding many posting that they have 78's, have no clue who and what they have, but it must be worth a fortune, because it's old. A few years ago, at my local thrift store, I was finding and buying many Victor batwings, at 99 cents each. Realistically, most of the "popular/common" 78's should be priced in this range, but as we all know, eBay is making everyone think they are sitting on millions of dollars of records.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

smitharthur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:57 pm ... eBay is making everyone think they are sitting on millions of dollars of records.
Ain't that the truth! :coffee:

For the first time in a long time, I saw two milk cartons full of 78s from the 1920s & 30s, and all very average content in V to V- condition. No gems. I couldn't even justify the $50 she wanted for the lot.

James.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Ever since I started collecting almost 50 years ago (!), I've encountered people who thought their pile of old Henry Burr records would finance their next vacation in Bermuda. It just seems to go with the territory.

As to not seeing pre-electric Victors all that often, they *used* to be plentiful, but remember, what turns up in yard sales and such is largely a matter of demographics. In the 1980s-90s, the market was absolutely flooded with big band era records as the generation that bought them new and stashed them away in the attic or garage began downsizing homes or dying off en masse. Before that, it was scroll label/Viva-Tonal era records (or so I'm told; I missed a lot of that by being in school, not at flea markets). When I started off, 'teens/'20s era records were my meat and potatoes, again because that's what was emerging from the backs of American closets as homes were cleaned out. Today, I don't see 78s at all the way I used to, not that I've been to any antique stores, flea markets, or garage sales in ages--certainly not since the pandemic got going. But anyhow, once the cohort that originally bought an era's records passes on, they will be generally available primarily from other collectors (who themselves may now be starting to pass) or else from dealers.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I still find batwings and scrolls pretty common. But I live in a large metro that's been established for 150 years, not out in the 'burbs n' boonies.

What's getting hard is finding the earlier ones, like patent and grand prize label discs. Even 20 years ago it seemed relatively common, now not as much.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

As well, some of the perceived scarcity of these records, I feel, is due in large part to the sheer weight and physical strength it takes to lug cartons and milk crates of 78s around to various venues. My local thrift store won't even take them any more because of weight, fragility, and storage constraints. They are also very much a niche market, and most thrifters and the like simply aren't into them, which means they sit a long time in a space and then eventually have to be disposed of. And yes, as the years roll by, they are not as plentiful as before -- at least not what we would term "the good stuff."

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

smitharthur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 am I am in New England. Finding more and more that coming across these records is becoming harder and harder. Yes, I look at the thrift stores, etc. And plan on going to a town wide yard sale tomorrow. But where are people having success? I love the sound of Victor batwings in particular, and to my ears, they are the best sounding records suitable for play on my Victrola.

Thanks for welcoming me into this group!

Arthur

You are in New England? That's cool--me too! I moved up to New Britain CT last winter. If you need 78s I can set you up with some Batwings. Are you looking for a particular genre or something?

Facebook Marketplace always has records, too.