It's A Long, Long Way to Tipperrary

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: It's A Long, Long Way to Tipperrary

Post by Wolfe »

I think so too.

But if you play one of the old quartet records for someone, not a 78 listener, they inmmediately conflate the barbershop campy stuff with the music. "Oh, barbershop quartet ! " :roll:

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

One of my favorite things to do is play all the versions of this song I own and just enjoy all of the "subtle" differences. They are all pretty good in their own right IMO.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Those old records of singing quartettes are interesting. I was for a time thoroughly interested in acoustic recordings of vocal groups. I get bored of the Shannon Quartet records on Victor batwings, but others I've found were really good... Some American Quartet recordings, the Hayden Qt on Victor, etc. I've amassed a small collection of quartets that I love.
One great discovery was the Criterion Quartett on Brunswick. Another ones were several colored quartets on Columbia, Victor, etc. Fisk University Jubilee Singers, Utica Institute Jubilee Singers, are also great. Other unnamed vocal groups I've found on Harmony, Okeh and other records.
Other discoveries, now favorites, on electrical 78s, were the Revelers (Singing Sophomores on Columbia and Merrymakers on Brunswick). The performances of these men are great. It was a great transformation from the boring style when they were the Shannon Quartet!
I also have discovered other great vocal groups and choirs, as the Kentucky Minstrels, the Sheffield Orpheus Choir, The Birmingham Boys, and many many others.
Inigo