The Carter Family

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
smitharthur
Victor I
Personal Text: smitharthur

The Carter Family

Post by smitharthur »

Out hunting for 78's this past weekend, and found a beautiful copy of The Carter Family's Gathering Flowers From The Hillside/Don't Forget Me Little Darling on the Conqueror label. Does anyone here have any Carter Family on this label? I ask because, well, I thought they recorded for several other labels, including Victor. And, as I am in New England, this is the first Carter Family i have found here, ever. Not a very common find in this part of the US.

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Re: The Carter Family

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

I've run across several over the years. Conqueror was an ARC label, but it's been my experience that the Carter Family records on that label are later reissues from earlier releases (ie: Melotone). I've also found several Carter Family records on the Montgomery Ward label, and every one of those I've seen have the Victor or Bluebird catalog number embossed in the runoff area.

Steve

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I never find Carter Family records over here In The Midwest either. Ever though country music is the most popular music out here. You’d think I’d trip over Carter Family records but I’ve never found a single one in the wild over the last 13 years. I guess country wasn’t popular here in the 1920s or early 1930s yet. 😐

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Does anyone know of a comprehensive discography of The Carter Family on 78?.
This is the closest thing I have found. Great label images, I particularly like the Montgomery Ward ones.

http://www.45worlds.com/78rpm/artist/carter-family

smitharthur
Victor I
Personal Text: smitharthur

Post by smitharthur »

Just happy to have one in the collection. especially in a region where they are virtually non existent.

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

I can probably come up with some. Please PM if interested.

Steve

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

chunnybh wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:13 am Does anyone know of a comprehensive discography of The Carter Family on 78?.
This is the closest thing I have found. Great label images, I particularly like the Montgomery Ward ones.

http://www.45worlds.com/78rpm/artist/carter-family
http://www.hankwilliamsdiscography.com/ ... /index.php

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Thank you so much Wolfe.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Although I don't think the Carters are in here, this is another valuable site for discographal information for American "vernacular" music. Much from the 78 era as well as later eras. The kind of info that can be hard to find in a general search. https://www.wirz.de/music/american.htm

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

Amazing site. Thank you again, made my week and looks like I am going to spend weeks going through this site. I've looked for an Elmore James discography for years. The one on this site is just fantastic.