Unusual batwing label, any info?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
mrrgstuff
Victor I

Unusual batwing label, any info?

Post by mrrgstuff »

I recently came across this 10" record in the UK. To be honest, it's not often I come across any sort of Victor record, but this one seemed more unusual than most! The label appears to be hand typed, but seems flush with the disc, so guess was applied at the point of pressing. The other side is blank, though ISTR there is an embossed 8 by the hole. Anyone got any idea under what circumstances a label like this might have been used? Thanks :)
Attachments
20210624_213109~3.jpg
Last edited by mrrgstuff on Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Unusual batwing label, any info?

Post by Wolfe »

Custom order, for an out of print title.

Victor had a setup where you could order an older record be pressed that was no longer in the catalog. I don't know what it cost for these records.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Yes, Wolfe is correct. This is what is often referred to as a “special order pressing”. The number at the 9:00 position is the order number, while the number at 6:00 is the catalog number.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Wolfe wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:30 pm Custom order, for an out of print title.

Victor had a setup where you could order an older record be pressed that was no longer in the catalog. I don't know what it cost for these records.
Pathé Logical wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:32 pm Yes, Wolfe is correct. This is what is often referred to as a “special order pressing”. The number at the 9:00 position is the order number, while the number at 6:00 is the catalog number.
Thank you both. That makes a lot of sense. The record does appear to have some wear, so I suppose whoever ordered it was really keen on playing it once they had it!
:D

I suppose it was simpler than trying to hold stock which might never sell.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Most records back then had deletion date at some point, whether it was months or several years.

A few classical and operatic things by very famous performers could be exceptions. Like some of Enrico Caruso's more popular titles, or Fritz Kreisler or somebody like that. Things that were considered important "heritage" items that may have not been out of print or had times when they were in and out of print.

That one above was actually recorded by the Gramophone Co. in Italy in 1906 and issued by the Gramo. Co.
Then also issued on black label Victor in America, pressed from an imported Gramo Co. matrix.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have one of those special Victor pressings.Its by John Steel.edisonplayer.

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Never seen one like this - thanks for sharing!

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

I have a similar record- "Thy Dear Eyes" by Geraldine Farrar. I always assumed it was a test pressing-- One sided. Number embossed in run-off area matches the number below her name- 87253. Interesting to hear it was for special orders.

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN4947.JPG
DSCN4947.JPG (139.28 KiB) Viewed 731 times