Knotts Berry Farm Cylinders

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
MikeB
Victor II

Knotts Berry Farm Cylinders

Post by MikeB »

Back in 2017, Heritage Auctions got a hold of items that were in the Knott's Berry Farm archives and held an auction. Included was a lot of 41 boxes of cylinder records, consisting of over 1,500 cylinders. I went to the preview. The cylinders were locked in a room and potential buyers were allowed in one at a time. They let me in and the room was full of them. Every cylinder box I looked at had a property stamp from Knott's on it. I did not have the patience to look at them all. I bid but ended up being an under bidder - the bidding went too high for my tastes.

As all of the cylinder boxes appeared to be marked, I am wondering what happened to these. Has anyone seen cylinders with Knott's Berry Farm markings on the boxes? My intention was to sell them at the Buena Park show every year. You would think that with so many cylinders, some would have surfaced, but maybe they all went into a personal collection.

Mike

rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Knotts Berry Farm Cylinders

Post by rgordon939 »

I bought a large lot of cylinders with many different dealer stamps or labels. I do have a Knott’s Berry Farm cylinder. I thought it was a very interesting box. Your post also confirms that they did sell cylinders.

Rich Gordon me
Attachments
3970EA2C-0691-452C-A528-4AA1F7576C2B.jpeg
66A588AE-6A56-4B12-BDF3-C0A70252BCA3.jpeg

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

rgordon939 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:35 pm I bought a large lot of cylinders with many different dealer stamps or labels. I do have a Knott’s Berry Farm cylinder. I thought it was a very interesting box. Your post also confirms that they did sell cylinders.

Rich Gordon me
Yes, that's the stamp I saw on all the boxes that I looked at.

A year or so prior to the auction, they were selling items out of Bud Hurlbut's office, which is the same place that they held the auction preview. (Bud Hurlbut was a friend and partner of Walter Knott, and the guy who designed the Mine Ride and built Independence Hall, among other things.) This was a regular sale, and I was able to pick up a few things, including this painting, which presumably hung in Hurlbut''s office.
Attachments
IMG_2387.jpg
Last edited by MikeB on Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Nice pic... who painted it, or is it a print?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Curt A wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:12 pm Nice pic... who painted it, or is it a print?
It's an original painting, but it is unsigned. I do not know the artist.