Quest for Bass, Rollini Style

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
PeterF
Victor IV

Quest for Bass, Rollini Style

Post by PeterF »

Adrian Rollini exemplified a 1920’s playing style that I really like, using the bass sax to provide a fat bottom-end that is often more pleasing than the usual tuba. The big-horn Victor orthophonics can yield a very satisfying whomp from the right records, either tuba or sax.

We know his work from various California Ramblers and Golden Gate Orchestra recordings on Edison diamond disc, and a multitude of other lateral records under all sorts of band names.

So here is the challenge: what are some great examples of that fat bottom end sound, from Rollini or perhaps others, on 20s lateral electrical dance/jazz recordings? I’d like to find a few to enjoy (and to demo the capabilities of the big horns).

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Quest for Bass, Rollini Style

Post by fran604g »

:coffee:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

GlensterTX
Victor O

Post by GlensterTX »

Virtually any group he’s in on Okeh is well-recorded. Many of the Columbia’s are good too.

As widely reviled as “Just An Hour Of Love With You” and “I’m Wonderin’ Who” (on Okeh by a Frank Trumbauer band under a pseudonym) is, it is a very very good recording.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I've found some sides by Shilkret and the Victor Orch have a similar sound with a powerful bass, as Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man (don't know the number) recorded Dec 15th, 1927. And other records with a strong bass which I don't know if it is arched counterbass or bass sax or what.
Inigo

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Lots of Goofus Five and Joe Venuti's Blue Four sides, amongst countless other bands. Terrific.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Thanks for the responses so far, folks.

If you can narrow it down to specific sides, with title and label and band name, that’s what I’m looking for, please.

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... -30172-San

One of my favorites from a small group of mostly Goldkette alumni pulled from the larger Whiteman orchestra. Min Leibrook holds his own with the bass sax rhythm, seamlessly segueing into a solo (say that fast three times) before returning to anchoring the bass line.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Excellent example! Thanks!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

GlensterTX wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:20 pm Virtually any group he’s in on Okeh is well-recorded. Many of the Columbia’s are good too.

As widely reviled as “Just An Hour Of Love With You” and “I’m Wonderin’ Who” (on Okeh by a Frank Trumbauer band under a pseudonym) is, it is a very very good recording.
No idea why this record would be widely reviled- it's a favorite of mine.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Yeah, especially the I’m Wonderin’ side, which is very nice.