25th anniversary

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

25th anniversary

Post by Inigo »

By these days I celebrate my 25th anniversary of falling in love with The Revellers. I'm just now listening to the first record I had, a spanish Gramofono AE1763 with Moonlight On The Ganges... recorded Aug 13th, 1926 b/w Breezin along with the breeze. Immediately fascinated, spent several years chasing for more records by them, until I got enough (five dozen). Of all places, I found that first record, then another one, in an antique store in a small spanish town I was living in. Also fell in love with Franklyn Baur's voice...
Inigo

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: 25th anniversary

Post by CarlosV »

Yes, Iñigo, The Revellers were a great vocal group. The Revellers and Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys are my preferred vocal groups from the 20s. Every decade had their outstanding vocal groups, with The Comedian Harmonists (who were modelled after the Revellers) in Germany and the Mills brothers in the US in the 30s, the Ink Spots, Andrews Sisters in the US and the Compagnons de la Chanson in France in the 40s, the HiLos, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross and other great groups in the 50s, the Double Six and Swingle Singers in the 60s and so on.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Carlos! I also love the others you said, and Les Compagnons were also a youth discovery in my life.
In my search of vocal groups on the 90s and 2000s, I bought every 78 I found of small chorus ensembles, and I found many what I don't like, but also surprising jewels here and there, some famous and others not so famous, or in obscure records...
Inigo

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

CarlosV wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:30 am Yes, Iñigo, The Revellers were a great vocal group. The Revellers and Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys are my preferred vocal groups from the 20s. Every decade had their outstanding vocal groups, with The Comedian Harmonists (who were modelled after the Revellers) in Germany and the Mills brothers in the US in the 30s, the Ink Spots, Andrews Sisters in the US and the Compagnons de la Chanson in France in the 40s, the HiLos, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross and other great groups in the 50s, the Double Six and Swingle Singers in the 60s and so on.
Not to forget The Boswell Sisters in the 1930s as well.

Andreas

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

alang wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:43 am

Not to forget The Boswell Sisters in the 1930s as well.

Andreas
Sure, how could I forget, they were great! they could swing, especially with the Dorsey Bros band backing them.