ID Artie Fields recording?? A little help?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
outune
Victor IV

ID Artie Fields recording?? A little help?

Post by outune »

I have a recording-- Typed label- "I Want a Man Who Drives a Buick" by Artie Fields.

From some brief research:
Fields was a bandleader, jazz trumpet player and a record producer- Most active playing in the 40's and 50's. He was affiliated with Artie Fields Productions and with Fortune records, both in Detroit. He led an orchestra at Fortune records. Artie Fields Productions was located on Woodward Ave in Detroit- The phone number on the disc has a 'Woodward' pre-fix-- Fields died in 2009 at the age of 87.

The record is blank on the back side--- The recording is very well done-- a professional recording with an excellent band and a female vocalist. I'm sure some of the audiophiles on the forum would be able to identify her.

I'm looking for any information that can be provided. Any Artie Fields collectors out there??

Thanks!!
Brad Abell
DSCN4948.JPG
DSCN4948.JPG (136.69 KiB) Viewed 578 times
DSCN4949.JPG
DSCN4949.JPG (134.8 KiB) Viewed 578 times

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: ID Artie Fields recording?? A little help?

Post by Curt A »

A search for that title brings up nothing... Originating in Detroit and about a Buick, leaves me to believe it was a promotional recording, possibly to be used in a Buick ad for GM... Artie may have sent that to GM in hopes of landing a contract. :?

Make a recording and post it here, since it doesn't show up on YouTube, etc. Maybe someone will be able to ID the vocalist...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

I'd be happy to make a recording and post it--- But I don't know how to do that :) (I'm over 65!) :)

Is there a quick and simple way to post a video from my phone without taxing my non-techy brain too much? It really is a well-done record-- but I doubt that it was intended to be a Buick ad.

Brad Abell

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The easiest way would be to upload it to YouTube and post the link here. Maybe someone would upload it to their YT channel (assuming you don't have one) and link it here. Uploading it directly from your phone to the forum might work, depending on whether you know how to do that and what video format it's recorded in...

Your best option might be to ask David: AKA dzavracky (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26068)
He has posted videos directly to the forum and can probably help you...

Also, your record might not be an ad promo, but why would anyone name a song with that absurd title, otherwise? "I want a man who drives a Buick" seems to fall right into an advertising dream layout... How do you get a man to do anything - buy a car, smoke cigarettes, drink beer or any other alcoholic drink? Sex appeal - make them appealing to women, by making them buy stuff, use stuff or wear stuff that women like...

I know the business, since I was an advertising major in college. Want women to do something? Entice them with stuff that men like...
Camel.jpg
Camel.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Camel-wwii.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife