Couple Of Unusual Early Columbia Wax Cylinders by Prof. A.M. Thatcher - Anyone Have Info on Them?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Couple Of Unusual Early Columbia Wax Cylinders by Prof. A.M. Thatcher - Anyone Have Info on Them?

Post by FellowCollector »

Over the weekend I purchased a few cylinders and these were in the group. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I didn't see anything online about these cylinders but then again my online research was brief. I suspect they're pretty uncommon.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_7568.JPG
IMG_7569.JPG
IMG_7570.JPG
IMG_7572.JPG

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Couple Of Unusual Early Columbia Wax Cylinders by Prof. A.M. Thatcher - Anyone Have Info on Them?

Post by Inigo »

A fast googling for prof a m thatcher prohibitionist, has revealed this text from this book
Screenshot_2021-07-13-00-20-25-076_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2021-07-13-00-24-38-592_com.android.chrome.jpg
Inigo

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Couple Of Unusual Early Columbia Wax Cylinders by Prof. A.M. Thatcher - Anyone Have Info on Them?

Post by phonogfp »

Columbia's 40,000 series was reserved for 1908 Presidential Election Campaign cylinders. These are the first I've seen that were not either Taft or Bryan.

George P.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Thank you for the helpful info provided so far! I didn't realize until reading George's comments that the Columbia 40,000 series was reserved for the 1908 Presidential Campaign. It's interesting that these Prohibition cylinders were included in the series. The William Jennings Bryan or William H. Taft speech cylinders on Columbia must also be scarce as I've yet to find any. Interestingly, within the group of cylinders I purchased were a few Bryan and Taft cylinders on Edison which suggests that the original owner was keenly interested in political affairs of that time.

Doug

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Hello,

The 1908 Presidential Cylinders (as with Edison, also favoring Taft in number) appeared in Ken Lorenz' long-ago Columbia Cylinderography.
It is out of print (pub by Kastlemusick), but does appear online, at InterNetArchive.org. See p. 75.

There were other such cylinders (black wax moulded) in this group, esp from the Prohibition Party, and even (purportedly) from/by Eugene Debs, 'Winning a World.' But between you, me, and the lamppost, it ain't Debs. Whether the other "3rd party" candidates are really themselves (or not ) is an interesting question.

Although there were indeed some experimental cylinders made by the Lambert Co., none of them (as far as I know) were political (well, maybe royalty). No. 62, "Einstein at a Prize Fight" is not recorded by the physicist and slightly precedes his fame.

Allen