My First 78 Finds

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Johnny Town Mouse
Victor Jr

Re: My First 78 Finds

Post by Johnny Town Mouse »

I managed to rescue some more 78s for 25 cents each at a couple thrift stores today. These are the ones that were of most interest to me (you can click them to zoom in), it was really nice to find a Nina Koshetz record, her vocals on Eastern Romance are superb :)
Nina.png
Sawyer.png
Walker.png
Stracciari.png

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The Pathé is a vertically cut record. I don't know by what method you're playing these, but with a windup machine, you need a vertically oriented reproducer and sapphire ball stylus for that.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Johnny Town Mouse wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 pm I managed to rescue some more 78s for 25 cents each at a couple thrift stores today. These are the ones that were of most interest to me (you can click them to zoom in), it was really nice to find a Nina Koshetz record, her vocals on Eastern Romance are superb :)Nina.pngSawyer.pngWalker.pngStracciari.png
You have been finding some nice records at jaw- droppingly low prices, for sure. Glad you are having some good luck! Inevitably, whenever I wander into a thrift in my area, I get excited to see a bunch of 78s there. I start going through them and it slowly seems as if they all look familiar- and they do, because I donated them! :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:56 pm
Inevitably, whenever I wander into a thrift in my area, I get excited to see a bunch of 78s there. I start going through them and it slowly seems as if they all look familiar- and they do, because I donated them! :lol:
Same! I wonder, "geez, how many Columbia red label Dinah Shore records can there be in one area?" and then quickly realize it's all part of the batch I just got rid of ;)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

How many of us have discarded a record, only to buy it again some time (or years) later?
And to buy again the very same copy with your own marks on it???
Me, one :D :D :D
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I am old enough to have bought 78's new in record shops, but most of my early acquisitions were given to me by elderly people who just wanted them to be preserved. I particularly remember the elderly housekeeper of a Catholic Priest who had recently died and left her his entire estate. I have his collection of McCormack records still, including an autographed example.

The majority of my collection has been sourced from junk shops, flea markets, antiques fairs, auctions and private collections.
As Chairman of the CLPGS West of England Group I am the first point of contact if anyone needs a collection cleared.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Johnny Town Mouse wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 pm I managed to rescue some more 78s for 25 cents each at a couple thrift stores today. These are the ones that were of most interest to me (you can click them to zoom in), it was really nice to find a Nina Koshetz record, her vocals on Eastern Romance are superb :)Nina.pngSawyer.pngWalker.pngStracciari.png
Well, if I'd stumbled across these records, the Koshetz is what *I* would have taken! My few of her records are early electric, not acoustic, and I've never seen a Brunswick with Cyrillic script, either.

Mind you, the Stracciari is also something I'd have wanted--pretty much guaranteed to be a fun record.

Already mentioned upthread, but just to emphasize: don't try to play that Pathé record with a steel needle. One such play is enough to trash it. You'll need the Pathé sapphire ball stylus and a vertical cut machine or adapter for a lateral cut machine.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Songs have been known to move people to tears, to laughter and bring lots of joy, sorrow, and pain. Also, many people can hold an item that is 100 years old and get a "sense" of historical perspective--that the very item in their hand has been through a lot of hands in the past. For me it invokes questions like, "I wonder who held this exact record", "I wonder who bought it when it was new and how they felt about this song" or "I wonder if the grandkids (of the original owner) played this record many times just to remember when grandma use to wind up the old Victrola when they were children".

Name a better experience for 25 cents USD in the year 2021! :lol: A pack of gum is over $1 now.

-Travis

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Interesting thoughts, Travis. The records capture moments in history.
Don

smitharthur
Victor I
Personal Text: smitharthur

Post by smitharthur »

I don't think Caruso is that "common" to find here in the Northeast. Others from different parts of the country could say "there are Caruso's out there everywhere", which in itself is not true, as 78's in general are getting harder and harder to find up here. When I found my first Caruso out there "in the wild", I was practically doing backflips.

However, I look for these because I enjoy and love the history behind them, and the music itself. 78's in general have little to no monetary value, with scarce exception.

What they do have is spectacular music, and rich history. If you can enjoy them on those grounds, to me, they are priceless.